Help with frame identification?

amedias

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can anyone shed any light on what this might be?

531 frame , been sprayed by Argos at some point as has their sticker on it. Build is not original so not much to go on !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 603
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 603
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 603
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 603
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 603
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 603
Under BB cable guides, top tube brake guides and allen key brakes put it at very late 70's and into the 80s'. Full sloping crown, non-portacatena and spaced fastback. It has a touch of Thompson / Orbit about it............

Aside from that it could be almost any builder.

Looks nice though :) is it for sale?

Cheers

Shaun

I agree it does look very much like a road ace from the 80's, the Raleigh fork crown was slightly waisted and the seat stays a bit closer together.…......99% the same though?

Shaun

I agree Shaun, either an RRA or Gran Course frameset. Not mine but detailed pics to compare:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/13175...49//url] Serial number will prove either way.

This 1983 one?

Raleigh-Competition-1983.jpg

Frame number would probably nail it :D

Shaun

Re:

Thanks for the info and links guys, I'll make a note of the serial when I'm back down at the workshop and have a look!

I thought the seat stay/seat tube junction was quite distinctive so might have been a giveaway, either way it's a lovely frame whatever it is!

We have the same lugs including the seat clamp lug on the wifes Woodrup so these were used by a number of builders. Even the fork crown is the same. It really is down to the numbers. Any sign it has ever had a head badge I.E. filled in drill holes.It was the three drillings that set me on course when I found my poiner track frame was a raleigh pro.There are very very few head badges with that pattern of rivets. Interesting stuff.You can get a lot of fun out of tracing old bikes
Peter

Re:

There are 2 small holes for head age, one vertically above the other

Hopefully serial number will help but I won't be back at workshop till thursday

Back