Retro Cyclocross bikes

MADB

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So after my session off cross racing for the first time this winter I think I might like to get myself a retro cross bike for the summer session. I know very little about road bikes and even less about retro cross bikes so post up some pictures for me please and let me know what they are like to ride.

Cheers B.

Re:

I love me some Retro Cyclocross (just cyclocross bikes in general really). Lovely, elegant to look at and more versatile than a
normal road bike.

I rode a bike I'd had resprayed as a Flandria in the Eroica 2013. It was very pleasant, the better braking
from the cantis and the bar end shifters made it a bit more comfortable and easy to ride than a normal
vintage road bike.

There is loads of room for fiddling about with weird set ups too, single chainrings, cables routed through the
stem/seatpost, different gearing, drillium...

The most obvious brand to look for is the aluminium ALAN/Guerciotti bikes from the 70s/80s. Relatively easy to find, and
nice and shiny with the anodized frame and lugs you can polish up. The frames were very flexible which is why they wer popular for cyclocross. Main problem is that the frames could crack, e.g. I had one where the headtube cracked because of a badly installed headset.

Apart from ALAN, you have Empella )(Netherlands?), Diamant (Belgium) and a few others. Ritchey made the legendary Swiss
Cross, which is my personal holy grail bike.

Main thing to look out for is that cross bikes are basically ridden abusively: rust, cracked frames, broken stays, ovalised headtubes and so on are unfortunately more common because of the hard life a cross bike is subjected too, so be careful when viewing a bike to check it carefully.

Riding wise, if you go for proper vintage gearing, you'll be getting off and running more often. Vintage cantis can be a bugger to set up, but steel forks seem less likely to suffer shudder than carbon ones.

Hope that helps,

Good luck,

Johnny

Re:

There are lots of new steel cross frames being manufactured today - why not just get one of those and build it up retro? The Surly Cross Check, Pake C'mute, Soma DoubleCross, Handsome Devil are some nice frames which can be had for a reasonable price.

Re:

Hi

This is mine
Hope you like it as much as I do, great to ride and very versatile

Cipo

Attachments

• 20141123_075829.jpg
    20141123_075829.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 20141123_104600.jpg
    20141123_104600.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,041
Here was mine from a couple of years ago - if it had just been a bit bigger:

file.php

MADB":3q2safh7 said:
So after my session off cross racing for the first time this winter I think I might like to get myself a retro cross bike for the summer session. I know very little about road bikes and even less about retro cross bikes so post up some pictures for me please and let me know what they are like to ride.

Cheers B.

What size frame are you looking for? I have a 55/56'ish Paul Milnes which I don't use and could possibly be persuaded to part with.

Cheers Johnsqual for the great info, yes a nice Alan would be what I would like to buy they are probably going to be out of price range.

dirttorpedo, The Hansome oxox is one very nice bike.

legrandefromage any ideas what the frame is, looks very nice.

Some nice pic as well cheers, keep them conning.

No room to buy just yet just doing some home work at the moment.

Cheers B.

Alan is a nice frame and possibly on my target list too.

Mine was an Orbit 653, very nice just too small and forks that were not original so the rake led to toe/ wheel interaction.

Re:

Been pondering about this myself lately.
Would you go for the same sized frame for a cx bike as a road bike? Or allow a bit for tackle saving purposes by having a slightly smaller frame?

Mike

Re:

Watching this thread with the mock distain shown by teenage boys towards anything their dad does really well.

Back