JRJ Bob Jackson 1950??

mithun123

Retro Newbie
just got a bike its JRJ cant recognize the year made and could not find The decal anywhere.... :( if anyone has any idea about it will be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• JRJ.JPG
    JRJ.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 1,087
  • JRJ 1.JPG
    JRJ 1.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 1,087
  • JRJ2.JPG
    JRJ2.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • JRJ3.JPG
    JRJ3.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 1,091
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 1,035
  • $_58.JPG
    $_58.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,035
  • $_59.JPG
    $_59.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,029
  • $_51.JPG
    $_51.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 1,032
Have a read here: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... ckson.html

It's quite an early frame. If I've understood the article correctly it's somewhere between 1936 and 1956 because it looks like they stopped using the JRJ in 1956 and used the Merlin branding after that. The white bike has what look like hand-cut lugs; I was looking for some clues but I think the fact that the symmetry on them is not good suggests they aren't machine cut. Yours has what might be Oscar Egg lugs on the head tube but I'm not completely familiar with them. It'll be a handmade 'lightweight', probably in Reynolds 531. Those lugs tell us that it's not a 1930's bike because Oscar Egg lugs didn't come around until the late 40's / early 50's.

Bob Jackson is still operating as a business, as far as I know, and a few people on here have got in touch with them and have been able to ID their bikes through the numbers stamped on the bottom bracket. If they can't help then the frame angles will probably be the giveaway. I think it's an early 1950's bike, anyway. If you've got any other pics of the lugs, side on to the frame etc then feel free to upload them as it'll help identify it.

Could be wrong but the fork crown looks nervex and I have a feeling that the head lugs are as well.If you end up stuck for decals google nick@lloyds If he does not have them he will probably make them for you. I seem to remember he has some JRJ decals on his stock list
best of luck
Regards
Peter

Thank you very much Jonny and Peter. really really helpful information. i have added few more picture. i have found number 48 stamped on bottom bracket and it has "ReDesigne Benelux" on drive side rear dropout and "ReDesigne Cyclo" on non drive side dropout. hope this information make sense?!
Thanks again.

No, I think you might be right actually. I just did a Google image search on Nervex lugs and got this. The bottom head lug looks a lot like the Model 48/161 whereas the hole in the bottom of an Oscar Egg lug looks like it is narrower. The filename of this photobucket image suggests these are 1958.

1958Nervexp5.jpg

Excellent.It was the curley bit on the seat lug that raised questions but it seems that they are nervex after all.If you have been trying to get nick@lloyds and have got nowhere sorry tis my fault.Nick@lloyds is probably the e mail address that has stuck in my mind. It is Nick you will be dealing with and it is lloyds but the web address is
www.hlloydcycles.com They look to have the head decal and the seat tube set. Nick is a great guy and he will very probably make you the others up if you can supply a photograph.Check how much it will cost though as it takes time

Regards
Peter

The threaded gear hanger on the Cyclo Benelux rear end has been sawn off. This was a common thing to do BITD as with the Benelux design the threaded part bent outward and wouldn't work with a Campagnolo or similar mech. A rear mech with an attached hanger will be needed.

Interesting frame whatever. I had an original JRJ 'Road/Path' when I was a lad which, I think, dated from around '52/53. It did service over the years as a track bike, TT bike, winter bike, work bike and I think it eventually fell apart under a mate of mine as he rode it to work in the 80's.

Back