box lining on frame

In the Jack Taylor "the bike man" which you can get from eBay shows him doing the box lining by hand, I always thought it would be done by tape but he just runs his fine brush along the frame without blinking an eyelid! Every time I look at my Jack Taylor I cant believe that the box lining was done freehand, certainly is a dying art now :) .

I had to do it few times when I worked in a bike shop..............blooming dificult even with the proper tool !

cyclo_pinstriper.jpg

Shaun

I notice the pen used by the man in the video has a guide attached to it to make it follow the tube.
I'd still make a pigs ear of it though!

Mark.

The Jack Taylor video of him box lining can be found on youtube or a link from the Jack Taylor site.
Its Jack Himself and in one of the late videos it shows him sitting in what looks like a sofa chair casually flipping the frame over as he lines tube after tube freehand. Obviously skilled and well experienced :)

Jamie

In the The Bike Brothers film Jack Taylor uses a wheel for the lining in front of some customers and despite saying he needs to concentrate gives a running commentary the whole time. Mostly freehand apart from the odd bit of lateral tape across the tubes and perfect work.

It's amazing to watch craftsmen at work like that and try to relate what they did to the modern bikes produced today. There's just no comparison.

Mark.

Jamiedyer":1rvu6lhd said:
The Jack Taylor video of him box lining can be found on youtube or a link from the Jack Taylor site.
Its Jack Himself and in one of the late videos it shows him sitting in what looks like a sofa chair casually flipping the frame over as he lines tube after tube freehand. Obviously skilled and well experienced :)

Jamie

Nic (bikebrothers) uploaded video? Yeah I remember seeing that and how Jack bemoaned box lining was a dieing trade as the guys that used to do it had retired or died. Jack just whipped a perfect straight line on a maroon tanden frame - he had foggy eyesight as well! Amazing skill. Sad that Jack Taylor passed away in 2014.

Back