Harry Quinn Racer

cee_bee_gee

Retro Newbie
Hello, could someone help me identify this bike please. I have put photos on instagram under the account conor.b.g (files are too big to post here)
it belonged to my father in law who recently passed away and was an enthusiastic cycler. He purchased the bike on his honeymoon (very enthusiastic!) in England about 40 years ago. I do not know if it was originally his or not.
I am a little stumped because it does not have a identification number on the bottom bracket. I am told that this does not necessarily mean it is not authentic though.
Also there is a weld above the lower bracket. I am wondering if it is ok to ride with this?

Re:

Hi - you can link from photo hosting sites to here, you know. Just copy the image address and put it in the image brackets:

Always like to see Quinns and great Merseyside bikes, so let's see yours. ;)

Judging from the pic I'd say this be a later Quinn, after Harry sold out to Falcon Cycles. That might explain why there's no numbering on the BB.

Close up pics of the lugs, drop-outs etc would help!

Blimey that's such a classy frame :) Mid to late 70's by the look of it when they couldn't decide what to braze on with over the BB cable guides with the later shorter dropouts. And then they go and miss out the downtube shifters and the top tube cable guides. Does the right dropout have 2 small holes drilled in it ?

Not sure if it's a Quinn as at that time the number on the BB was stamped with an "O" struck through with an "I" to make it look like a "Q". It's earlier than the later frames made by Falcon, the shot in seat stays are way to classy for that :) The lugs look like the shorelines have been properly filed and cleaned with lining and the Cinelli MC style fork crown is another sign of a good frame

All in all a very nice frame :)

More pics would be welcome

Shaun

Re:

Nice frame, shame about the weld. I guess the kind word for using such techniques on 531/Columbus etc. would be; 'unorthodox'. The tube probably rusted through sometime and someone effected this 'repair', maybe with a short length of tube stuffed up there through the BB shell for good measure? To be charitable, at least they left it obvious, so you know it's been done. I wouldn't ride it like that, but I guess in a post-apocalyptic world fine bike frames will be repaired like that, if they are repaired at all.

Really needs a new seat tube. But even if you've got the funds for that, a frame, especially one that has had that sort of 'diy' done to it, needs a thorough check over for other issues, alignment, corrosion, functional headset/BB threads, etc. Even just replacing the seat tube will probably mean spending more money than the frame is 'worth' as is, possibly more money than it will ever be 'worth', so if it's done, it's for 'love', or something like that, rather than as an investment.

Re:

Lovely lugs you got there, so it's not a Falcon. ;)

Shame about that weld. If you do build up and ride, I'd get that checked out first.

Re:

It will be a labour of love alright!
For that kind of work mentioned you need to go to a frame builder?
If so can someone recomend someone in Munster/Ireland?

Back