Do you fit your own headsets?

Diamant_Don

Retro Guru
Been putting off doing this for a while. The Tange headset on my racer works fine, but looks terrible due to chrome peel and pitting. So, is this a job that can easily be done at home?

Alternatively, can someone recommend a good, retro sympathetic LBS in Liverpool or Wirral?

Ta, fellas

With a good dose of mechanical sympathy and a 15 quid box of bits and pieces, it's a relatively easy home job.
I fit probably a dozen a year. So its worth me doing it.

If it's only one a year, get a shop to do it.

mattr":2vzsohxb said:
With a good dose of mechanical sympathy and a 15 quid box of bits and pieces, it's a relatively easy home job.
I fit probably a dozen a year. So its worth me doing it.

If it's only one a year, get a shop to do it.

hello there, £15 quid im v interested in your tools and procedure please.
how do you get over crown race seating and cup pressing ? :xmas-cool:

If the cups are fitted in the same way as normal ie bashed in :LOL: then you should have no difficulty.

Im joking about 'bashed' more pressed in.
If you can source a hammer and a slender piece of wood like a bit of broom handle. then your have your extraction tools.
If you can source a 12" section of m8 threaded rod, 3xM8 nuts and some wide washers, then you have your press for fitting.

The trouble i go to for you lot :facepalm: :xmas-wink:

Simple piece of rod and washers.
The only thing to note is to try to keep the rod exactly centered in the tube to ensure the cups go in parallel. I use the washers and the clearance showing on them as the sit against the cups as a guess.

Can lso maybe give it a bit of a tap[ with a hammer and piece of wood as a softening block. Just tap it all the way around several times to confirm its seated as far as it will go.

Attachments

• PICS 006 (Custom).JPG
    PICS 006 (Custom).JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 543
Thanks fellas - bike shop it is then!

Trouble is, I've used 2 LBS in south Liverpool and I wouldn't trust either with this job…

dyna ti' press is a good idea .i was thinking loads of washers
to inner surfaces.theres even a large square washer from timber building there.
the last guy who fitted me a headset i watched him.he used loctite on cups and crown race.
there are 2 bike shops near me and i would not trust them either :D

there are 2 bike shops near me and i would not trust them either

I'm yet to find an LBS in my area that knows how to sort retro bikes. Seems like they're only interested in flogging new rides - I seem to get the same hard sell - 'you shouldn't bother with this old thing, mate, get yourself a lovely new one, look, see how light it is?' - and it's always a dull Giant they want to flog me…

Back