Gum hood preservation

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

anything you can put on gum hood to prevent them drying out and cracking?

I recommend Armour All Protectant :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Armor-All-Prote ... all+shield

I have used it for years to revitalise plastic and the like. Comes in a spray not an aerosol. Put a little of the liquid on a paper towel and wipe over, no need to polish. On a bike it brings up mudguards beautifully and also brake and gear cable outers. I also use on brake hoods but not when I am about to use the bike. It will make them a bit slippery in use. So do not use on a saddle either. But for a bike you about to put away for the winter, ideal. I see there is a semi-matt version also if you do not want high gloss.

One tip is to keep hoods out of direct sunlight! The UV rays dry out the rubber and make them crack.

Keep the hoods covered over when not in use.

100% pure Silicone oil is good for keeping hoods in top tip condition but needs to be washed off if you intend to ride the bike :facepalm:

Re:

Silicone damages rubber
Wurth gummi pflege. Formulated to care for door and windscreen seals of cars

i hAve ordered some ... That looks like the good stuff.

Used silicone for years and it has never caused my rubber to be damaged, infact a factory were I used to work used the stuff on all moving rubber parts, they used 5 gallons aweek of the slippy stuff!

Just looked what 'Wurth gummi pflege' is and looks interesting stuff.

Ian Raleigh":2jfvzcfr said:
Used silicone for years and it has never caused my rubber to be damaged, infact a factory were I used to work used the stuff on all moving rubber parts, they used 5 gallons aweek of the slippy stuff!

Just looked what 'Wurth gummi pflege' is and looks interesting stuff.
I think silicon is fine but the sprays are a problem due to propellants damaging rubber so use the pump sprays.

I'm going to give the gummi pflege stuff a go as there seem to be a lot of good references on car websites. I went for the non aerosol version.

Back