Is this a real Mercian?

Chris

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Looking for a bit of help.

Seen what looks like a nice Mercian on eBay and I quite fancy building up a retro road bike but I'm not 100% it is what it says :?

Anyhow if anyone could confirm this for me I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Chris.

Oh yeah here's the link: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/181605773354?nav=SEARCH

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Has a respray sticker on it. It's fillet brazed and I don't recall seeing many fillet brazed Mercians about, in fact I'm struggling to remember any.

Looks well made though and in good nick for the age...............

Shaun

Re:

Mercian did fillet, but the details here (seatstay caps, dropout join's, cable stops etc) don't look anything like a Mercian...

Re:

Yeah that's what I was kind of thinking!

He does say he has the catologue mind you :roll:

Might be worth asking him if I can have a photo of the page with it on.

I have asked for the frame number but as yet no response :|

Chris.

Ferrus. Just had a mooch about the web, Classiclightweights and the Mercian site and they did indeed do lugless, even way back in the 50's :)

They seemed to have gone out of favour during my era (1970's) but there is still a pro lugless in their current catalogue.

Learn something new every day as they say :)

Shaun

Re:

But the Pro lugless (always?) had a filleted seatstay junction, and wasn't likely to have come with mudguard eyes I'd have thought, at least not in the '70's
To be honest this just looks a bit too crude in places to be genuine - unless it's a much earlier model maybe?

Wonder where the decals came from though, Mercian used to be strict about only supplying them for authenticated (numbered) frames.

The fit of the rear dropouts into the stays looks a bit 'crude' to me. I would have thought that Mercian would have 'smoothed them in' so to speak.

You need a frame number to confirm its provenance.

Re:

Unfortunately he's not answering my messages at the mo so I guess I'll never know :(

Thanks for all your help though.

Chris.

Back