7 speed shifter options

Meejoir

Retro Guru
Forgive my ignorance but..... I have a Raleigh frame on which the rear spacing is 126. I Would love to upgrade the existing 6 speed down tube shifters to 7 speed sti type shifters. What are the options? The only new shifters that I can see are Shimano Tourney units (I'm not bothered about top end stuff on this particular bike as long as it works). What other 'vintage' shifters are available in 7 speed?

Cheers.

7-speed RSX, Sora, Tiagra. Possibly 105 too but I'm not sure.

The RSX have paddles under the brake levers like the higher-end stuff and are very nice.

7-speed Sora and Tiagra have the little downshift button further up, which is generally disliked although it never bothered me.

New tourney 7-speed has the button. New 8-speed Claris has the paddle downshift and is very nice indeed. I also had a play on an 8-speed Microshift bike the other day and really liked the sti shifters, but I digress.

Bear in mind that you can use 8 of 9 sprockets of a 9-speed cassette on your 126mm hub with a 9-speed STI unit (or an 8-speed Dura Ace STI unit!)

You can even use 9 sprockets of a 10-speed cassette with a 10 speed STI unit.

Both these options require a specific chain.

You are in no way limited to 7 speeds just because of your freehub body!

Re:

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. I'm used to the downshift button having Campag ergos on my 'good bike' but I'm not overly familiar with shimano sti. Tourney shifters seen the easiest to obtain, I'm usually not that far down the pecking order as far as group sets are concerned but my wife has recently got a Claris equipped bike commuter bike and I was genuinely surprised at how smooth it was. Thanks again for the advice.

You're very welcome!

Whether you will get on with the Shimano button STI units depends very much on your bike fit and riding style.

If you prefer to be in the drops, then the buttons are usually a bit too much of a stretch for anyone without a Chimpanzee thumb, they're too far up the shifter unlike the Campy ones which are lower down and accessible.

If you generally ride with your hands on the hoods then the button shifters are fine.

Worth bearing in mind that new Tourney shifters will come with a warranty.

Back