Carlton identification.....assistance required.

Manny

Dirt Disciple
I have recently acquired the below Carlton with the intention of restoring the bike. At some stage the bike has been repainted and the decals have worn away. I therefore need help identifying the model of bike and year. My best guest is a 1960's Corsa. The owner is deceased but his family state he has owned the bike since the mid sixties. The bike is now a 12 speed with Suntour levels, a Raleigh front mech and simplex rear. When I looked for a frame number under the bottom bracket I found a lump of braze and feared this, together with the respray suggested the bike might have been stolen at some stage. However, I have clean the braze off and there is no number beneath? There is however, a number of the nearside rear lug (see below). I would like to know:

What model and year the bike is.
What gears were originally fitted (and a sympathetic choice for restoration)
Does anyone know what car paint is the nearest match to the factory burnt orange.

Any help would be appreciated.

5e270e62_o.jpeg

8a5f4840_o.jpeg

300df7ac_o.jpeg

49815db6_o.jpeg

aa10e9f8_o.jpeg

http://share.pho.to/8E4iJ

Crespera lugs and no W Raleigh number so if memory serves then its 1968-73. Mind you the memory is not what it used to be. Lol

Shaun

Thanks Shaun.
As a new member can you pass my request on to those others in 'the know' please. Any idea on Model? Do you think a Corsa?

Many Thanks,

Richard

Hello Manny, read your PM! Sorry but can't help you on this bike.

A bit before my time but there are older members on here who should help you greatly.

Thanks. Worth a try. Someone out there must be able to help. I'll just have to be patient (not one of my strong points)!

Manny":27sfnfja said:
Thanks. Worth a try. Someone out there must be able to help. I'll just have to be patient (not one of my strong points)!
That's all the fun of having an old bike and finding out what it is, may take a day or a month to find out ;)

Manny":2fb75xy5 said:

Manny you need the help of Spokesmann he is a good source of Carlton knowledge

nice project

Picking another Carlton up on Wednesday. Bitten by the bug. The above bike is now in primer ready to paint. Just trying to find the nearest match to the original.

Manny":6r9uw1oj said:
Picking another Carlton up on Wednesday. Bitten by the bug. The above bike is now in primer ready to paint. Just trying to find the nearest match to the original.

from none to 2 in a matter of days

Back