Merckx Corsa Extra sizing

chrispy2001

Dirt Disciple
Looking at buying a 90s era Corsa Extra but not really understanding the frame sizing. I ride a 58 cm frame and my current bike is a S-Works Venge with a head tube length quite a bit larger than a 58 cm Corsa Extra (which has a 160 mm head tube).

So...do I go Corsa Extra 58 cm or 59 cm?

Cheers.

Don't forget that your Specialized has an integrated headset, whereas the Corsa Extra has an external headset. To get a fair comparison of head tube length you have to add the stack height of the headset to the head tube length for the Corsa Extra, before comparing to the Specialized.

Campag Record threaded headsets have a stack height of 36.5mm (IIRC), for example.

I'd size from the top tube length. What is the (virtual) top tube length of the Venge compared to a 58cm Merckx?

Good choice of frame, btw. I'm just finishing building up my 1998 Corsa Extra with Shimano Ultegra 6500 9 speed kit.

Perfect, thanks so much for your response. The Venge has a 58.5 TT which is too long for me so the TT on a 58 Merckx would offer a much better fit.

I raced a Columbus SL Marinoni (Canadian made frame) in '94 and have always wanted a Merckx Corsa Extra. Looking forward to the purchase.

Cheers.

Re:

what's your inside leg measurement (crotch to sole of the foot)?

i am a 33 1//2" inside leg and my corsa extra is 59.5cm centre to centre. i ride the shimano 600ax post at the limit mark so i could also ride a frame another cm bigger without a problem.

great frames - you'll never look at that newfangled specialized thing in the same light again!

Re:

if you're measuring from the perineum to the sole of your heel, then you'll be looking at a 61cm c to c frame for sure. i use 177.5mm cranks with a 59.5cm c to c frame, so crank length is something that you'll need to take into account as well. what height are you?

I'm 6' 2" but have a short torso. Typically, a 58 cm frame fits me fine seat height wise but I'm very stretched out up top and ride a short stem (90mm).

The market seems a little dry for larger sized frames. Any reccos on where to find something of quality online? Ideally, I'm looking for a 7-Eleven replica but will take what I can get.

Re:

i'll keep my eyes peeled for one for you. you're right about a shortage of bigger merckx frames - i guess that the europeans must all be short arses although i wouldn't say that if i was riding alongside them! :shock:

unlike you, i have a long torso and long arms (think gibbon) so the long top tube and 12cm stem suits me to perfection . .here's some shots of me doing the etape caledonia back in may - get one that fits properly and it's like an armchair to ride!!

however, the legs gave up as did the smile come the 81 mile mark!!

:shock:

Latest posts

Back