Retro Ronde 2015 - Registrations Open

Re:

Hello Mike,

Officially they follow the (somewhat arbitrary) rules from the real Eroica: pre-1987, downtube or bar-end shifters, no automatic pedals etc...

However, in my experience the rules are not really enforced at all. At the start, you can either go up onto the stage and have your bike approved, or you can just go straight to the start line without anyone even looking at your bike.

Last year, there were two blokes riding aluminium Cannondales with STI shifters, but wearing full tweed costumes :facepalm:

Johnny

I've registered. Did the Tour on a bleak day a few years ago - will be good to go back in summertime.... Not sure what to ride though - registered a Koga-Miyata Full Pro L for the time being. Gears will need to be lowered somewhat though...

I will register in a minute :) Been there twice. Very good. Last year I did the short saturday tour on a late 80s Gazelle Champion Mondial ATB with Campag Euclid. A classic mountainbike apprciated by many road cyclists, but still I felt like a kind of cheater. It is in the spirit in the event when you show up on a bike as specified by the organisation.

Re:

I'm currently trying to decide between three possible bikes to take:

A rule-bending bike from 1991. It has downtube shifters and pedals with toeclips, but is a bit too new for the official rules. It does have a Flandrien
connection, though. Needs a proper test ride.

A Flemish bike from ca. 1952. Almost finished the build, but it has quite tough gearing for the cobbled hills. 42-20 is the lowest gear.

A very old bike from Liege which might be difficult to get finished in time.

I agree that we should try to stick to the spirit of the event. I mean, I still believe that toeclips are easier than clickers...

robv":3k3ch48z said:
I agree that we should try to stick to the spirit of the event. I mean, I still believe that toeclips are easier than clickers...

Oops, meant to say pedals with clips. Edited my post.

I agree about toeclips, I use toeclips on my commuter bike because I find them easier on my knees, and I don't have to worry about wearing out the cleats while walking round the railway station (or falling down the stairs, for that matter).

As Johnny and Melvin have said, there's no scrutineering and it's more about the 'spirit' of the event. Having ridden this and L'eroica a few times I much prefer the Retroronde, as it's sponsored by the community then it doesn't have such a 'corporate' feel

Back