Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi retro folk,

I've just acquired a French frame with a Campag bb. Never had either before. The non drive side shell came out ok , turning anti clockwise. However I'm not sure which way the drive side shell unscrews . I tried both ways without success.
Can someone shed some light please ?

Thanks

Mike

If it's a true old french bottom bracket then it screws out anti-clockwise (the same was as the non drive side)..... which is the opposite way to English

Is there any markings on the BB cup?

Shaun

Re:

Hi Shaun,

I took it to very helpful lbs, who themselves aren't sure. Left it wirh them so can't check writing :facepalm:
It's a '92 Gitane bought on here. Had the rest of the bb out along with the headset. To my relief it's all in good nick. Just wanted peace of mind that it wasn't stuck.
LBS has a 'special tool' that will go over the bb. After that the kettle may be brought into service. They are good there so I trust them with it mate.
Last resort will be a local frame builder
Mike

LGF's thread is very useful. Never found a kettle to be very useful in getting BB's out. A very long lever helps and well as a M8x1mm bolt to hold the tool in place.

Re:

Hi if its to tight for a spanner I hold the cup in my large bench mounted vice and use the frame as a lever,never failed me yet!!!!!!!!!

Air wrench and 120psi set at a low/middle torque and it will come out in about 10 seconds. You need to be careful using long bars as they can easily twist the frame if it isn't supported properly

LBS should be able to get it out................ we had something like this BITD :D

img_1258.jpg

............only bigger

Shaun

Cyclus do a very similar tool but only useful on fixed cups with a 36mm spanner flat. A 60cm breaker is about as long as I want to use. If they are really stuck the air compressor at the tyre fitters comes in useful. However one frame had a BB so stuck much time of gentle heating with a blow torch with the application of a breaker bar slowly got the thing out mm by mm. Never failed yet in getting one out.

bm0p700f":x3zofwtb said:
Cyclus do a very similar tool but only useful on fixed cups with a 36mm spanner flat. A 60cm breaker is about as long as I want to use. If they are really stuck the air compressor at the tyre fitters comes in useful. However one frame had a BB so stuck much time of gentle heating with a blow torch with the application of a breaker bar slowly got the thing out mm by mm. Never failed yet in getting one out.

It is a 36mm cup. I know, as mine fitted. Just not able to turn it. Didn't want to risk damaging frame by using some longer lever on it.
The LBS did put it in a vice while I was there, but no luck.

Shaun, the pic of your tool :shock: :shock: looks like what the mechanic had in mind. Fingers crossed it works.
Would the taper be the same for a Mavic chainset, should I be able to locate one?

Just thinking worst case.

There is a local frame builder who may be able to free it too

Mike

Back