Peugeot PH501

grantus

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks.

Just bought what I am certain is a PH501 frame and forks and have a couple of questions.

- What sized wheels did this bike take? I want to run it fixed. single speed components uk do nice fixed wheelsets with a retro look. They do them in 700 c or 27 1/4.

- It was a 12 speed so I presume the rear spacing will be 126mm so running it with a 120mm hub will be fine with a couple of 3mm spacers on the axle at either side.

- Seatpost. It doesn't have a seatpost but, again, single speed components do an alloy 23.4mm post for 20 quid so this will do with a shim to make a snug fit.

- Stem. What sized stem will I need. I've read that French bikes take odd-sized/hard to find stems

It's the lovely burgundy colour with chrome forks. The forks are quite pitted and rusty so some tips on the best way to bring these up nicely would be appreciated.

I have a Sugino Maxi crankset at home with a 52 tooth outer ring. I intend to polish that up and run it with this combined with a 21 tooth sprocket which should give a 66 or 67 inch gear. Should be ideal for all-day riding.

Brakes. Think i'll stick nice modern aero levers and silver callipers on it so I can run the cables under the bar tape to keep everything neat. Not authentic, I know but never mind :)

cheers!

-

I used to own a Peugeot Sports (Recorde du Monde) but crashed it into a tree, damaging it beyond repair, I still have some of the bits kicking around, if you think anything would fit let me know :)

Re:

Cheers matey.

When the frame is delivered i'll have a look and maybe give you a nod! Where are you in Scotland? I'm central/Glasgow area.

Cheers
Grant

Nice bike. Not sure what year but pretty sure it is a PH501 as it has the Reynolds 501 sticker on it and also has the chrome forks. Pretty much narrowed it down previously using the article in that link you posted.

Mine is the burgundy colour although your green one is also very nice.

Always kind of liked these even though they are pretty 'low end' I guess.

Thanks for the offer of measurements. The main thing was the wheels. I'll pick up a set of the retro look 700c wheels and try and get some retro looking tyres for it as well.

I may try and pick up an authentic chainset for it and run it with the smaller 42 ring. I'll post some pics of it once I get it and get the project underway. Christmas present to self this year :)

Re:

If it's 126 how will the 120 hub's axle be long enough to take the extra 6mm of spacers and leave enough axle to fit in the drop outs, or will you change the axle too?

The seller claims that the axles are long enough to fit even up to 130mm spacing with enough room left for the nuts to fully tighten

Re: Re:

grantus":2kdshe5m said:
Cheers matey.

When the frame is delivered i'll have a look and maybe give you a nod! Where are you in Scotland? I'm central/Glasgow area.

Cheers
Grant

No problem at all, my hometown is near Stirling but I am in the West End of Glasgow quite a lot :)

Re:

grantus":17srp1rn said:
The seller claims that the axles are long enough to fit even up to 130mm spacing with enough room left for the nuts to fully tighten

Sorry for my question I had forgotten about solid axles, I was thinking hollow QR :oops:

Re:

No worries t47b :)

Mikey I stay in Cumbernauld but work in Glasgow. Trying to get back into the bike now as have basically been off it for the best part of two years for personal reasons.

Latest posts

Back