Bar slippage, help required.

deanhempshall

Old School Hero
I have a cinelli Gios panto stem (26.4mm) which has a single bolt & uses an internal wedge clamp design. I fitted my 26.0mm 3ttt bars with a coke can shim (2 pieces) & can't get it to clamp tight enough, the bars keep slipping with any amount of weight on them. The stem has been degreased & rebuilt with grease only on parts that are required.

Any ideas other than changing the bars or stem?

Failing that any bars with a 26.4mm diameter but a compact type shape?

Thanks in advance

Dean

Re:

hi dean, i was going to suggest roughing up the shims with a file like little grooves length
ways to mimick the serrations seen on the inside of some h bar stems.
but on reflection the type of stem you have may not have an even contact point
on the whole surface area as a normal pinch clamp.
ie contact pionts are 9 oclock and 3 oclock looking cross section view.
i have some cinelli ergo top 42 [fully curved] £25 posted
you could sell those bars on e bay for the normal 20% loss :roll: :LOL:

ps have you callipered those 3t/s might be out of tolerence a bit also.

Re:

Instead of using a coke can I use a plastic bottle shim in one piece with both sides sanded, I have fitted 25.4 bars in 26.0 stem this way very successfully ;)

hi kermitgkona alright mate m would that be a washing up bottle material ?
them ergo shifters i bought off you i sold at a20% loss :LOL:

Re:

No the type you get on 1+ltr drinks bottles like Coke, it has a bit of spring to it and can be easily cut with scissors and doesn't cut your fingers as much ;)

D'oh :facepalm:

Re:

I only use it as a last resort now, wanna buy some wheels off me then sell them for -20% :LOL: :LOL: You want to really rough the plastic up with a course sandpaper :D

this came out of a council house garden.. used as garden furniture..my mates took the mick
cause they thought it was crap.given to me for nothing i sold on ebay recently £300
proper retro is that.

Attachments

• 153.JPG
    153.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 932
Back