Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks, ;)

Just a quickie for you.
To convert a pair of Shimano band on down tube shifters to braze on, do I just need the frame-shifter spacer thingys?

ta

mike

hi mike,im interested but dont really know what you mean,can you please show.is it the square bit.
has any one used 'riv nuts' and screwed these on as an alternative to band on shifters

Do you mean the "square" bit that goes first against the frame as below?

Suntour_Sprint_Friction_Shifters_Braze-on_Bagged_06.JPG

I thought for the indexed shifters they were simply a swap ?

Shaun

Mike Muz 67":1xwl4blh said:
Hi folks, ;)

Just a quickie for you.
To convert a pair of Shimano band on down tube shifters to braze on, do I just need the frame-shifter spacer thingys?

ta

mike

Hi Mike, The curved frame spacers on a band on setup have little cut outs to fit around the band so from recollection, you only need to replace these curved spaces

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
it makes sense that shimano should use the same components for either system,
up side is people would want the band on carcass for sti cable stops
on a 70/s frame....£10 ?

Re:

Sti levers on a '70s frame! Wash your mouth out with soap and water! :LOL: :LOL:

Yes Shaun it's the number 7s that I meant, have a spare pair hanging around as it happens, albeit in a sorry state.
If I get the shifters, would anyone like to swap the band for a nicer pair of number 7s?

BTW , is 126/8mm frame spacing for 7 speed? :oops: I just can't remember :(

thanks

mike

hi mike, i got one already. they could be painted in the mean time. rx100 exage 105
would all be the same i guess.its just the sort of thing mechanics would have in their spares
bin

Back