Look KG196 still any good, ok to ride

Doubledee

rBotM Winner
Hi
I've been contemplating another build and the standout frame for me apart from my other 70's and 80's machines is the Look KG196. As always I like to buy my size and ride them. Does anyone have any first hand experience of one or know how they last? my guess is that it's not bonded so should be sound for years. Any guidance or just general chit chat would be great
Cheers Darren

Hi I always wonderd if the fork was solid carbon.it always looked kind of delicate to me.simon lessing triathlete used one and I think they were used by teams for TT.I'm not sure if the UCI banned them or if they simply fzzled out .isn't there a similar Vitus ? I think they were quite expensive bitd.along with the frame came the adjustible stem.l like them simply because they are different .I would like to know more about the fork and the weight.and your personal views on handling please.

well looks like its just me and thee dd .for the time being anyway.youve sure got a variety of bikes
in your collection.do you fancy uploading some photo's inc the look ?

Re:

Yes its 4 and counting! I can post links to all my builds as they are on retro bike. I haven't got the look at the moment, not so knee jerk when its expensive and I didn't want to make a mistake or ride a potential death trap, still 50:50 as I want as always to it properly but as cheap as possible. In my opinion it needs either mid 90s dura ace or 1993 chorus with dual pivots. I've got a bit of 90's chorus but side pu calipers and chainset so the build could take ages. Still I have parts to build and ride a shabby version if I get it....

Re:

Sorry I didn't answer one of your questions. I've done some homework sounds like they are built well.the fork is carbon and unique to the frame as is the ergo stem, thankfully the seat post is 27.2 so easy to get but I want the look carbon ergo as normal alloy round and aero ones look rubbish. The forks have an elastiomer in to absorb road shock and apparently it works well

its qwerky alright as i say they are from the 90/s and stick in my mind.mavic did some carbon wheels with
propeller blades rather than spokes then there are spinergy's then there's what they cost.
i think its one of them you either love or loath and my images up top are mavic tri bars/bull horns being normal with those mavic wheels i mentioned ..simon lessings bike i guess.
pretty exclusive cause of the price.i hope you nab it cheap!

Ok I have the frame and parts are sourced. I've gone for it totally and have some Mavic Mektronic gears that are wireless for the rear mech, ill let you all Google it if you don't remember they're short lived appearance around 1998-2000. Building with mavic ssc starfish throughout.

The question I have is that I don't want to upset the forum and post in the wrong category. The frame and parts are firmly 1993 but the wireless gears are 1998 onwards so where do I post ? Here or the more modern one. Either way I'll be building and taking pictures from next week and I'm a bit excited. I actually don't mind too much if the gears work that well but I've gathered loads of info about how to set them up correctly and reliably, remember I won't ride this bike in the wet :)

Re:

ok sounds goodo . i did not realise mavic did it again following the ill fated 'zap'and really interested
im going to google it now[wicked find...different]
what wheels ?
should be posted here.as some classics here have modern components.
variety is the spice :D

I have my old pair of mavic 3G trispokes ala Chris Boardman at the Barcelona Olympics. But I've also got some mavic Aksium's that I will use too. I'll start a separate build thread and post as I go

ok, i always wondered about the weight of these early monocoque frame sets
compared to steel ? but then there is the aero shape card.
great disaster stories with 'mavic zap' and the pros :LOL: :LOL:
yeah i like them! kind of sculptured.and the back so sharp and square.

Latest posts

Back