Caliper brakes and Westwood Rims

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

A question for the really old school types: is it possible to use caliper brakes with Westwood rims (also called 'chapeau de gendarme' in French)

I've read in a couple of places that they are not compatible, and it is hard to see how they could be set up (e.g. how do set the brake pads so they don't rub on the tyres?).

However, I've also seen several pictures of bikes with Westwood rims and caliper brakes (NOT rod brakes), so it at least seems possible to do.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Cheers,

Johnny

I've worked on rod brakes and Westwood rims BITD and you can't really use callipers with them.

However, some Westwod style rims have a 4mm or so flat outer surface onto which calliper brake pads would make some sort of contact..... not a lot though ! and yes I have seen it done. A hint of rain and you would have brakes as effective as an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping (apologies to Blackadder)

Other Westwood rims had a rounded outer surface so calliper brakes would be a complete no-no.

Shaun

Hello Shaun,

Thanks for the reply.

Balls, that means the wheel building budget for my current project has at least quadrupled. Oh well.

I've got a couple of Westwood rims but they are definitely the rounded type, and since I'm a caramel kidneyed, custard coloured coward when it comes to descending (thanks again, Blackadder), I'd rather not tempt fate...

Back