Question about rear derailleur and friction shifting

benseddon

Old School Hero
This may be a stupid question, apologies if it is.

My Raleigh/BSA racer runs a 5spd with down tube shifters. If I change the freewheel from 5spd to 7spd will I also need to change the rear derailleur as well or will the friction system be able to cope with the increase. I know if it was an index system then I would have to change but I've never really had any dealings with friction systems so am totally clueless about them.

Depends on the travel of the derailleur in terms of the side to side and the ratio range. A bit more detail of the components may assist

The reason these matter is that from 5 up to 8 speeds, the cassette gets wider, then 8 up to 11, the sprockets and chains get narrower, if I'm remembering right.

I'll have to check on the component details but I believe it's a Sachs rear derailleur. D/t shifters are Sachs as are the brakes levers and chain set but I'll double check anyway.

benseddon":350uncvr said:
This may be a stupid question, apologies if it is.

My Raleigh/BSA racer runs a 5spd with down tube shifters. If I change the freewheel from 5spd to 7spd will I also need to change the rear derailleur as well or will the friction system be able to cope with the increase. I know if it was an index system then I would have to change but I've never really had any dealings with friction systems so am totally clueless about them.

The derailleur could work/or not OK on a 7 speed depending on make/type, but you will have to re space or replace the rear spindle depending if it's solid or hollow spindle, dish the rear wheel, to suit & maybe have the rear triangle reset to take the wider between lock nut distance, also a narrow chain

Back