More flip flop hub weirdness...

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Been looking at one of the old wheels in my shed, and noticed that it's a weird variation on a normal flip flop hub.

It has a freewheel thread on both sides (rather than fixed on one side, free on the other). What is the point of that?

At the moment, it has a French made freewheel on one side, but dunno if it's also French threaded (the brand is 'Star' which I think is French). The other side takes an English threaded freewheel. Would there be any reason for having different threadings on each side?

Or would it just be to offer extra gears, e.g. a 'flat' freewheel on one side, and a 'mountain' freewheel on the other?

....is the wheel dished at all? if it is dished on the open threaded side there's a vague possibility that the single freewheel already in place may be screwed on what is often called the fixed side.....the threads are the same apart from the reverse lockring thread

Re:

Ah. See what you mean. The freewheel in place is a 3 speed, so it might be
covering the lockring threads on the fixed side.

Not been able to remove the freewheel, but I need to because there's a broken spoke on that side :evil:

Thanks for the reply!

Johnny

Is It a French Hub or French threaded some of the older hubs were threaded to take a freewheel either side so you could have a freewheel with more teeth for a lower gear The frames for these had rear dropouts quite a bit longer than standard to enable chain adjustment

Re:

Finally got the freewheel off after a session of gruntin' and swearin' in the shed.

It was indeed a standard flip flop hub, fixed on one side, (French threaded) freewheel on the other. The English threaded freewheel was screwed onto the fixed side. Handy to know that you can do this with a French threaded flip flop: the fixed sprocket is still English threaded.

I also dismantled another flip flop hub and found that it was a double fixed hub, again with English threads on both sides.

BTW, does anyone know of a good quality single speed freewheel that can be removed easily, ie without the crappy shallow flats you get on most Chinese made freewheels?

Thanks again for replies.

Johnny

Back