right cantis for 80's dawes galaxy.

skelley2

Devout Dirtbag
I need a set of cantis that will do an 86 galaxy. I want
700c so will need to be adjustible too, thinking old deore lx, xt or stx should do? Front fork is 700c so its grand.

Could someone link me the right ones before i post a wanted advert?

sometimes, I found the canti mounts very close needing froglegg style or later low profile as contemporary simply wouldnt fit - they would stick out a mile unless you ran skinny rims.

I run some quite rare Shimano 600 cantilevers, small works of art but I've only ever seen pictures or the set I have. I run Tektro Frogleg style on other tourers.

plenty of alternatives about

5739049266_4cf1ffc6e5_z.jpg

off_road_norman_902.jpg

Re:

The rear will need 4mm adjustment to run 700c wheels so would be handy to have that. Other option would be just remove bosses and fit tektros, but its a bit drastic if theres brakes out there. Been suggested suntour xc sports to.

Just measured the 55-73 extra long brakes would also work but they are a messy solution.

Re:

Shimano MT62s (Deore) work well on tourers of this sort of era - my 1989 Raleigh Gemini is fitted with a set. "Wide profile" too, so no issues with drop handlebar brake levers.

I did try Frogglegs, but found they fouled the pannier rack. Waste not, want not - said Frogglegs ended up on the CX bike and are still giving good racing service (occasionally finishing ahead of the riders on snazzy disc-braked aluminium bikes) to this day!

David

I think I have a set of MT62's in the shed still.Pm me if you go down that road.jm.

Back