old derailleur query

onegoodbike

Merlin Fan
Feedback
View
Hi,

Before I go to the trouble of stripping down my current road bike set up, does anybody know if you can run a Campagnolo nuovo record rear derailleur with friction levers, in conjunction with a 7 speed rear wheel?, or is the spread too much for a 70's mech?.

Cheers Matt

Re:

7 speed should be fine if you're running road ratios on the freewheel, I've run a Nuovo Record on similar but found the largest sprocket should be no more than 28tooth

Griff

If you find the gear lever has a lot of travel and to get onto the largest cog the gear lever points backwards then swap for a newer set of levers. They have a larger diameter so travel less....................if that makes sense.

Shaun

Matt70":u0k5stgf said:
Hi,

Before I go to the trouble of stripping down my current road bike set up, does anybody know if you can run a Campagnolo nuovo record rear derailleur with friction levers, in conjunction with a 7 speed rear wheel?, or is the spread too much for a 70's mech?.

Cheers Matt
I think when the Nuovo rear mech was introduced the only lever type was friction, the mech doesn't care how many sprockets there are between the H & L stops, as said in one of the other posts if the lever movement is to great the later Campag levers move a smaller amount per cog. If you are not to died in wool Campag the Simplex/ Mavic retro friction is in my opinion a much nicer lever to use & works in both directions equally well without having to be tightened enough to make the rearward pull stiff.

That's a fine looking derailleur :D , how much weight did it save?.
I have a knackered super record rear mech sitting on the shelf, I may have to do some subtle upgrading to the nuovo record one by swapping the titanium bolts over (I'm probably a touch late to the 70's TT bike kit lightening game!, I am enjoying the latest thread about it all though :D )
Matt

Re:

Hi,

I can only get 26t to run on mine, with rear wheel at the back of the frame with adjusting screws still in. I have thought about taking the screws out to get to 28t but not sure it will work.

I changed inner ring to 37t to get up the hills!!

Tim

Latest posts

Back