Frame re-chroming

Taul Paul

Devout Dirtbag
Can anyone recommend where to get a fork and chain stays re-chromed please??
I've phoned Mercian already. Oooooooooooh!!

Ta
Taul Paul

Mercians use Derby Chrome plating as the name suggests who are also based in derby.{Abbey street}
People send items to DCP from all over.
Top finish. like all things you gets what you pay for . I have used them a few times ,not cheap but as said you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the info, in advance also.

I did wonder and know of Derby. I've called Dave Marsh of Universal cycles and he can sort it at sensible £$

Taul Paul

Re:

Make sure the base for the chrome is Nickel or copper . This bonds the Chrome to the metal and as you will know makes for
a long lasting finish .
Always nice to see chrome stays etc in mho.

Try Prestige Platers in Mexborough. They do a LOT of bicycle work for some of the top restorers including replating Airlite hub barrels, pedal frames, bars and stems etc. etc.

01709 577004

I think it is possibly who Dave M. uses.

Re:

That's interesting that Dave M uses PP
I know Prestige plating very well. They have done loads of car parts for me in the past. I was trying to avoid
them as I know from experience they bend stuff. This is when they emery wheel the old plating off, then when
polishing they put some much heat & pressure into the part it bends.

I'll ask Dave M if that's who he uses.

Ta

Re: Re:

Taul Paul":3uit1xts said:
That's interesting that Dave M uses PP
I know Prestige plating very well. They have done loads of car parts for me in the past. I was trying to avoid
them as I know from experience they bend stuff. This is when they emery wheel the old plating off, then when
polishing they put some much heat & pressure into the part it bends.

I'll ask Dave M if that's who he uses.

Ta

Your experiences are interesting. Never heard that about them. If you polish items yourself before taking them it's cheaper and a lot quicker. Possibly they take a lot more care over bike parts. They're cyclists themselves (MTB'ers).

Back