1987 Trek Elance Problem

Konasun

Retro Newbie
I have a vintage Trek Elance that has a problem and I am stumped. When I am climbing a hill in a low gear standing up, the chain slips. I bought a new Shimano 6 speed freewheel cassette and my chain has very few miles on it. It was doing the same thing with the old original gears about a year ago so I bought the new chain. When it continued to slip I just hung it in my garage and rode my other bikes. I recently bought new handle bars, brakes, grips and the cassette and was excited to ride it again. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? I am about 225 pounds but it has never happened to my other bikes. Thanks, I'll post pictures of the bike after I make them small enough for this site.

If the chain and freewheel are the correct match I would consider checking the rear axle and bb for play and checking wear on the chain rings. If that doesn't do it maybe look for cracks in the chain/seat stays?

dirttorpedo":14q0omvj said:
If the chain and freewheel are the correct match I would consider checking the rear axle and bb for play and checking wear on the chain rings. If that doesn't do it maybe look for cracks in the chain/seat stays?

With me, it's very possible that the chain does not match. I also recently removed the axle and put everything back together. I may have reassembled it the wrong way. Could that make the gears slip? I love working on my bikes but I have a lot to learn.

Attachments

• Trek.jpg
    Trek.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 244
Check you don't have any stiff links in the chain especially if its the type of chin that has a drive in rivet to install. Probably worth checking your derailleur jockey wheels are free moving as well. Although, with a new freewheel my money is on a chain issue :)

Back