Time pedal timeline ?

latman

Senior Retro Guru
Does anyone know it ? TBT > Impact > RSX > Iclic > Iclic 2 > Expresso , thanks Ian

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJGwE9n)ySfM1BRIV3q)l3!~~60_3.jpg
    $T2eC16NHJGwE9n)ySfM1BRIV3q)l3!~~60_3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,939
  • 70.JPG
    70.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,937
  • 99.5.JPG
    99.5.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,941
  • 169.JPG
    169.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,945
  • tkime criterium.JPG
    tkime criterium.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,942
Re:

i can tell you that the 50.1 pedals were out first in 1987 (fignon used them with systeme u) and the time criterium style were some time after 1990 as lemond was still using the original style pedal in the tour that year.

i have no idea about the rest - they are far too modern for me!!

:cool:

ps one of my favourite wins ever - fignon had been in the doldrums for years with a tapeworm in his gut and then won this stage in spectacular style . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qgXQ3zPSN4

i wonder what 50.1 referred to ? I do know Boonen won the 2005 worlds on RSX pedals

Attachments

• 309718_10150417603809530_1708970735_n.jpg
    309718_10150417603809530_1708970735_n.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,901
Re:

i'm not sure. the 50th attempt at a pedal that allowed float/ rotation but that kept your foot locked in during a fierce sprint!!?

i still use the titan magnesium version to this day and have my original and rather tatty time shoes too! a great system and even almost thirty years on, i still can't see past them . .

i had some of those titan mags years ago but i broke one of the rear spring tabs off in a fall , the Ti spindles got fitted into some later model criterium pedals and did a few more miles in their new home

Re:

Been a time man since 84 & these are the only ones I have yet to ride

6411_0.jpg

I've been a huge time equipe TBT fan since 1988, and I was happily using them until the cleats became increasingly hard to find. I did try some impact pedals way back in 2004 and absolutely hated them. I just found their narrower q-factor caused my ankles to rub against the cranks, so after one ride I reinstalled the equipes..

Due to having the bio mechanics of lame donkey, I ride mostly speedplay zero pedals with long spindles, fore-aft adaptors slammed on re-drilled bont shoes that give me an almost midfoot cleat position. For a bit of nostalgia I occasionally break out my time equipe's, but after several years of riding in an almost mid-foot cleat position my tibial anterior muscles have turned to mush so riding them now feels unnatural. Plus the spring tension constantly trying to re-centre my feet eventually drives me nuts..

I really should sell them on here or e-bay, but I can't bear to part with them for some strange reason...

Re:

if they are in good condition please give me a shout if you decide to punt them. i love these pedals although the shoes are starting to look a bit threadbare. back in the day i used to thing lemond's battered time shoes were cool but these days i just look like i've pulled them out of the skip!

cheers,

craig

Re:

I don't think I will ever sell them as they were the only pedals I could physically use until speedplay released their zero pedals. The time pedals I have the later 2002 model (red equipe pro magnesium)
I have two pairs both red....One well used pair, and one virtually brand new pair of bonjour team issue.

I did have a pair of the earlier 89 vintage 50.1 racing pedals, but I loaned them to a friend who was crippled with iliotibial band syndrome that was caused when he treated himself a new bike with a record groupset after years of riding bargain basement shimano kit. Apparently the campag chainset of that era had a 102mm b/b spindle and a super narrow q-factor..The poor guy spent a small fortune on physiotherapy and was on the verge of giving up cycling when I gave him the my well worn time 50.1 pedals. Needless to say, they solved his knee issues immediately as they had a much wider q-factor than his look pedals..

Re:

time 50.1 are the business - i've never loved a pedal apart from the first two sets as used by hinault and lemond back in the day . . .i would never use anything else.

Back