Sad news about Anjou Velo Vintage

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
From the facebook site, it looks as though there will be no Anjou Velo Vintage next year.

From what I can understand, the local government has withdrawn its support 'due to the economic situation and budget registrictions' (classic local government excuses).

https://www.facebook.com/anjouvelovintage

Quite gutted because I was sort of planning to go and do it as part of a holiday to France. The photos of the locations on the course look fantastic.

Very sad.

Johnsqual":x92pf29v said:
From the facebook site, it looks as though there will be no Anjou Velo Vintage next year.
From what I can understand, the local government has withdrawn its support 'due to the economic situation and budget registrictions' (classic local government excuses).
Very sad.

Sad if true (I've been twice).

Will return to the Loire next year, as it is a lovely area for cycling as my Wife's Dad first discovered when he toured there on his Hobbs of Barbican (in 1953) - I returned last year with his bike for the 60th anniversary of his tour.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rk.

Johnsqual":11927shj said:

Quite gutted because I was sort of planning to go and do it as part of a holiday to France. The photos of the locations on the course look fantastic.

Very sad.

That is a shame; one of the reasons why continental events of this type are so affordable is they often receive significant public funding from local government. This never happens in the UK which is one of the reasons why UK events are more expensive than their European equivalents ... some people mistake this situation as profiteering by UK organisers ...

Why don't they run it anyway and just build the lost subsidies into the rider fee?

Montello":2by36rkq said:
Johnsqual":2by36rkq said:

Very sad.

That is a shame; one of the reasons why continental events of this type are so affordable is they often receive significant public funding from local government. This never happens in the UK which is one of the reasons why UK events are more expensive than their European equivalents ... some people mistake this situation as profiteering by UK organisers ...

Why don't they run it anyway and just build the lost subsidies into the rider fee?

Hmm, I was wondering how long it would be before that cheap shot got fired.

The obvious alternative to this proposal of turning the event into another soulless corporate money-grab would be to run the event as a genuine non-profit with volunteers, which is what most of the people on the Anjou Velo Vintage site are actually proposing. Plenty of people clearly prefer a grass roots event that cyclists organise themselves to expensive events with aggressive marketing.

There are lots of successful examples of grass roots type events: Pendle Witches; the real, original Eroica started that way (and they seem to be doing alright); there are countless smaller events in Belgium and the Netherlands that are run by enthusiasts rather than profiteers, and for accessible prices.

In the discussion on the Anjou Velo Vintage page, someone points out that the organisers asked for a very big subsidy so maybe they overreached themselves. Events like the Retro Ronde have set and stuck to a limited number of participants to keep the rides manageable and sustainable: the Retro Ronde has been running for 9 years now, so they are clearly doing something right, subsidies or not.

Lots of clubs and associations in Britain offer rides with a minimal entry fee, so the intrinsic costs of organising such an event can't be that high. It's only when you start adding on a load of extra crap that real cyclists mostly don't even want that you start to need to hike up the price, or to ask for big subsidies.

Where subsidies are given, it's because the people offering the subsidies recognise the economic benefits of organising these types of events. East/West Flanders has built up a whole tourist industry round the Ronde and related races, so they are happy to support the cyclos because they are smart enough to understand the benefits. The same with other regions, where such events often attract 5000 participants: the economic benefits are clear.

Compare that to Roubaix, where the opportunities to attract people to come and ride the historic 'secteurs' and the famous velodrome are largely missed - despite the race being arguably even more famous and prestigious than the Ronde. Apparently the French local governments, like the British, don't understand the benefits of cycling, and aren't prepared to invest in it. Why not try to change that mistaken attitude?

Finally, since some other events are supposedly so good at attracting sponsors, why don't they use those sponsors to generate income and therefore keep the prices down, rather than dumping the costs and risks of organisation on the cyclists?

Re: Re:

dirttorpedo":25gk330f said:
Maybe the local business community will rally around and provide support.

Unfortunately, the local business community may be part of the reason the event got shafted. Business people claimed not to have seen much benefit from the event, which the local authority then used as an excuse not to support it.

That contrasts with L'Eroica, where local shops, cafes, restaurants and hotels very obviously benefit from the event.

There is a strong case to be made for organising these types of events in areas that definitely need the economic boost, and at times of year when there is not much other business from tourism. That seems to be the key to L'Eroica's success: the event takes place in a small town that people would probably not otherwise go to, and at a time of year when tourist business is slowing down. That's presumably why the event has been able to keep the support of local people.

Johnsqual":1r2i90jm said:
Hmm, I was wondering how long it would be before that cheap shot got fired.

The obvious alternative to this proposal of turning the event into another soulless corporate money-grab would be to run the event as a genuine non-profit with volunteers...

Eh? ...you don't have to change the event; run it as planned just put the missing public money on the entry fee; simple isn't it?

That of course means the riders would have pay for their entertainment.

I don't see why anyone would expect the tax payer to fun their riding ...

Re:

The organisers asked for a subsidy of 100,000 Euro. Based on 3500 entrants (as per the last edition), that would be 28 Euro extra per person, on top of the 28 Euro entry fee. So the entry fee would double from one year to the next. Even with the explanation that the subsidy was cut, that would be a hard sell to the punters, I think.

And as I pointed out, most of the commentators on the AVV facebook page would prefer to organise the event among themselves as volunteers, rather than hike up the entry fee.

Your comment about the taxpayer not having to fund these rides reveals that the mentality and culture is clearly different here than in the UK. You bang on about "profit" being a dirty word: why is "subsidy" automatically a dirty word?

Here, cyclos and sportives are seen as more akin to a local authority funding a leisure centre or swimming pool: the health and social benefits of cycling are appreciated, so the funding is seen as worthwhile. That's in addition to the argument that it boosts tourism.

Subsidies also effectively redistribute money so that everyone can afford to do cyclos if they want to: it's not just an activity for the elite, either socially or in cycling terms.

I'm glad I live in a country where (for the moment at least), the culture is such that I can do four or five well-organised sportives (often on the routes of professional races) per year, for the same it would cost to do just one so-called premium event in the UK. As a middle class tax payer (for the moment at least), I've no objection to some of my tax money going to support that culture if it enables other people to do the same.

But if you think cycling is the new golf...

Re: Re:

Johnsqual":2hook0cp said:
The organisers asked for a subsidy of 100,000 Euro. Based on 3500 entrants (as per the last edition), that would be 28 Euro extra per person, on top of the 28 Euro entry fee. So the entry fee would double from one year to the next. Even with the explanation that the subsidy was cut, that would be a hard sell to the punters, I think.

Well there you have your problem; people want the tax payer to pay for their fun ...

You bang on about "profit" being a dirty word: why is "subsidy" automatically a dirty word?

No I don't quite the opposite; I hope events make a profit because that means they will be back again organising another event ... I have no problems with subsidies either but I don't expect or demand them; happy to pay my own way if needed.

Here, cyclos and sportives are seen as more akin to a local authority funding a leisure centre or swimming pool: the health and social benefits of cycling are appreciated, so the funding is seen as worthwhile. That's in addition to the argument that it boosts tourism.

Yes; well I see the value in that but that isn't likely to happen in the UK as there is huge pressure on the public purse ... and it would seem the same issues on public spending are now hitting France which traditionally has been far more left in its politics than the UK.

I'm glad I live in a country where (for the moment at least), the culture is such that I can do four or five well-organised sportives (often on the routes of professional races) per year, for the same it would cost to do just one so-called premium event in the UK.

Me too ... club cycling in the UK is still run on a not-for-profit volunteer basis and we all do our bit for the clubs and volunteer marshal and other duties such that the races I do are still usually only £3 - 7. It is only the sportive scene, of which I have no part, that has become expensive and commercial. Quite why some of the people pay £50 to do a one off non-competitive ride anyone could do for free I have no idea; they could easily do an Audax for pennies but these pseudo road racers have no idea on how the sport has previously run. The L'Eroica Britannia is the only commercial event I have done and I think that offers good value due to the festival side of the event.

I do think grass roots cycling in the UK is under pressure as at a club level we are seeing things getting much harder to find volunteers to run events and as such I can see the culture changing from community clubs to commercially run events which will see the costs of participation sky rocket ... we have "vanity" clubs round here that never organise any races but show up for everyone else's events ...

Back