Rudge bike identification and history

fredericco

Retro Newbie
Hello everybody!

I just bought a Rudge bicycle and I'm looking for more information about my bike, like model, age etc. It has 6 digits on the seat post 340618 then the capital letter R just below. I have included a picture of the bike to help. The bike also has steering lock enabling the bikes steering to be locked in 3 different positions.

I have contacted the Rudge Enthusiasts Club and they told me my bike was made post 1944 by Raleigh using the Rudge badge.

Hope somebody can help!

Cheers!

Fred

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6,025
Re:

Very nice.

Have a look at the rear hub. There will be two sets of numbers in the form xx xx. They are the month and year it was manufactured.

It's reasonable to assume the back wheel is the same age as the rest of the bike.

It isn't an old one, relatively speaking.

Re:

Thank you, I will have a look and see what it says.

Do you know anywhere where I could find the model of the bike?

Cheers

Re:

Hi Fred and wecome aboard.

As chris667 says check the hub for a date and it should be possible to find the model. Like a lot of the great British manufacturers many were taken over and homogenised by Raleigh, but it should still have a model ID

Re:

Hi, not really up on raleigh serial numbers, but I found this in a 1956 Rudge catalogue. Terry

Attachments

• rudge_56.png
    rudge_56.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 6,001
Re:

Thank you all for your help, that's the bike! Does anybody know what that tube looking thing on the seat post is? I know the bike had a Dynofour hub, is it some sort of battery pack?

Cheers

yes i like the h tube badge i believe they were made near birmingham way.
one on the bay ['club man'. frame 531]..there must be a light weight hub gear around...

Latest posts

Back