A couple of basic questions about gears and levers

DrewSavage

Retro Guru
Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but everyone has to learn somewhere and I thought I'd best ask the cognoscenti...

Is there any way of attaching a braze-on front derailleur to a band? Or do you have to get a band-on derailleur and stick with it?

The same question applies to levers - I've got my eye on some indexed Campagnolo downtube shifters which would go well with the rear derailleur I've just bought... but I can't see how I'd attach them to my Raleigh touring frame. The previous ones were non-indexed Suntour power shifters that were clamped on with a band.

And are front derailleurs designed specifically to be used with a double or triple chainset, or can most be used with either? Again, I've got my eye on a Campag Record from the 90s but it's come off a bike with a double, and I'd want to use it with a triple (gearing I think is 50-40-30).

Yes, there are braze to band adaptors. I have a spare one for a 32mm seat tube if you need it.
Similarly, usually scavenging an old band-on gear lever set allows you to use its band with your levers.

Triple front derailleurs have a deeper inner part to the cage. A double will work usually but the change from inner to middle will be clunky and slow. The Campag part you need to look for is a 'Racing T' which was a sort of one size fits all component. It doesn't look out of place with Record though.

Re:

Brilliant - thanks fellers. I got outbid on the one Racing T that came up on eBay (although I did win the auction for the Racing T triple chainset) but I've since found a Campagnolo Compact Triple for sale - do you know if that would do the job?

Damn, I got outbid on a Campagnolo Record triple front derailleur too. Demand seems to exceed supply for Campagnolo triples. Is the Racing T the best option, or would a Comp Triple (which I think is a later model) do the job?

The chainset I've bought is a Campagnolo Racing T, which is a 52-42-32.

The rear mech that I've got is a Campagnolo Record which I think is 8 or 9 speed.

Any triple front mech will do. People don't notice front mechs so much.

As to demand outstripping supply, that just shows that the people collecting these things are getting older. :)

I find that most on here have a deep inner part (as mentioned above) that they manage to hide most of the time.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. This place has been an absolute mine of information, freely and patiently given. I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.....

Re:

Thank you! By the way, while I'm here, does anyone have any particular views on the difference between small flange and large flange hubs? Instinctively I think large flange would be better for a touring wheel, but I don't know why...

Touring wheels traditionally had large flange hubs. But then, traditionally you had to take a spare axle with you whenever you went touring because you'd routinely bend them.

What sort of bike are you building?

Back