Cable end ferrules: any tips...?

DrewSavage

Retro Guru
...on how to get them back into the brake barrel adjuster that they came out of? They were a fairly tight fit when I took them out to fit a new cable, and they don't want to go back in. Are there any old cycle mechanic's tricks? I think I've tried everything obvious - holding the cable with pliers and trying to twist the barrel on to the ferrule.

Obviously I'd rather avoid having to go to the LBS and get new ferrules - or worse, new cable outers. There's a nice patina on the current ones.

Sorry for yet another newbie question.

Re:

Could just be the wrong size. Some older brake adjuster liked bigger ferrules, most newer ones seem to be smaller.

The thing is, all I'm trying to do is re-fit the ones that were in there before. It took a bit of a pull to get them out but I didn't think it would be this hard to get them back in.

Maddening when you know that someone has managed to do it before.

Doesn't the cable just go into the brake barrel on the calliper or are you talking about the lever? Pics?

Shaun

If you mean the ferrules on the end of the inner to stop it fraying, they are a pig to reuse, you can sometimes get them back on by twisting them on in the direction of the cable twist, it winds the inner and thins it out slightly.

I have also in the past drilled them out again but it is a bit of a faff

Re:

He is on about the ferrule on the outer. The one that then fits into the brake caliper. Yes they can be sods. A damn good clean helps. Generally the ease in which they come out is reflected in the ease in which they go back. Quite possibly yours were the wrong size anyway.

...........not sure I'd bother with a ferule there as the diameter of the barrel adjuster should be the same as the cable ?

Shaun

Ah. Thank you, Shaun. Lack of knowledge meant all I know is putting things back how they were.

So I can just cut the ferrule off and get away with it? You're right, the barrel adjuster is the same width as the cable. Well, the ferrule is basically the same width as the cable. But I suspect the cable outer might fit into the barrel a little bit easier.

Back