New carbon bikes. A argument to buy one.

High Gear

Dirt Disciple
I saw this over a Classic Rendezvous by a long time builder and designer. Although I do not agree that I desire or ever want a carbon bike, he brings up some good points in regards to what drives the bicycle industry. Read on.
I have been reluctant to comment on the CR thread about bicycle frames made using steel. I have not read every single comment. Some folks seem to think that the best steel frames from the CR period ride better than current state of the art bikes made using CF. Also that because we are not racing then we don't need the last little bit of advantage. While both these statements can be argued let me take a devil's advocate position. If only real racers bought the bikes back in the CR period then you guys would not be riding them now, there would not be enough and the price would be high. After being on this list for some time I have come to the conclusion that low cost is one of the most important features to the CR listers. No problem at all with this, but back in the day real bike nuts bought the high end bikes for full retail price. Some of these bikes were bought just to show off or get on the bike bandwagon and then put in the basement never to be
ridden again. So mostly these old steel frame bikes are available now for modest cost. The very best steel bikes from the CR period ride very well. I know something about this as I spent my whole career building and designing bike frames. After around 100 years of development the very best steel bike frames defined what a bike should feel like. As a frame designer you better know what you're doing if you attempt to change even  a small detail let alone the frame material. I was at the forefront of change in bicycle frame design. This happened right at the time of CR list cutoff, so I cannot talk about it here. But I can talk about why steel is not viable for the current bike industry.

Now I know you guys seem to think anything to do with marketing is BS. I am an engineer so like to think logic would be the best way to decide how to buy anything, but we all know this is not very realistic. All bikes since they were invented were sold using marketing, all the bikes you guys ride, all the bikes sold now. There is nothing wrong with this, in fact it has to be this way. As I mentioned earlier, if folks who did not need the best racing bike back in the 1970's did not buy them you would not have them now. The bike industry is very, very competitive. Let me try to explain what happened to the market for serious bicycles at the end of the steel period. Steel bike frames were highly developed at the end of 1970's and the best frames all used tubing from about 3 companies. So one could look at these frames as a commodity. Not a very healthy place for a bike maker to be in once most people have a bike. One way around this is to sell a large
volume of bikes and get good pricing on the materials and parts, then sell bikes on price. Raleigh for instance, but high volume and high quality don't go together very well. The other way is how I did it, hand built custom frames with a fanatic attention to detail. Trouble with this is how much work it takes compared with how much the customer is willing to spend. So here is where marketing comes in. As a small builder I learned quite a lot about bike design, and what makes a bike feel good. But one frame a week is not going to change the world of bikes. So I teamed up with a genius marketing guy, Mike Sinyard. I took my steel frame designs to the general market, the frames made in Japan to keep the price to the end user down. Bikes worked very well, but because end users generally don't know a good ride from adam not much in the way of impact in the market. It is hard to market a bike if the marketing department does not have an angle. This angle
should always have a real technical advantage, in my opinion anyway. The key point is you have to have a successful company (selling lot's of bikes and making profit) in order to keep making good bikes. Because steel frames all use similar tubing there is not very much one can do to differentiate other than the BS like lug cutouts and fancy decals. Colnago for instance. As a technical guy this path does not interest me all. Making real improvements in the bicycle is what I have always been trying to do. If one can make these changes and prove it with tests, it gives the marking guys something to work with. Very difficult this path. Changing to a different frame material is full of pitfalls. I have always pushed this angle based on sound theories, and keeping to the forefront  the feel based on the best steel bike frames. I think there is some misunderstanding from some on this list that all CF frames are all lumped into the same group. The engineering
for most steel frame bikes is in the tubing, as long as one builds frames with tubes from a good company with reasonable skill the bike will work fine. With carbon this in not true.CFframes are vastly more difficult to both design and build than steel. For various reasons it takes a team of real engineers and large amounts of capital along with the best marketing to do correctly. The small maker cannot do this, really only a few companies ca ... n. Even if steel frame could be made to work as well (you have to believe me but they cannot), a bike company would be rolling a large stone up hill to sell very many these days. Steel bikes do have a few advantages. Very low cost, although with so few makers building them harder to find quality. If you don't care about weight they are very strong. Small volume niche bikes are easy to do, not much capital or tooling required. All these reasons are negatives for marketing though. If a small company starts selling an
interesting volume then it is very easy to knock the bike off and undersell it.

I am a perfectionist and love fine tools. I am not a racer and in fact do not deserve to ride the latest racing bike. But wow! My new bike is in every way the best bike I have ever ridden. There is no disadvantage at all, except for the cost. Does it not make sense to support (as in buying new bikes) the people who are making the very best bikes right now? Or at least not come down on what is happening with bike design as marketing BS? 

Jim Merz

Big Sur CA

USA

Hmm, some interesting points in there. I can't really be negative about what he's saying as I have 2 CF bikes myself!

Old Ned":p9sa4r92 said:
Hmm, some interesting points in there. I can't really be negative about what he's saying as I have 2 CF bikes myself!

Only 2? Dear oh dear, there's a terrible imbalance in your collection Ned - you need to buy more CF bikes.

Being serious though it's a very well reasoned piece. When people complain that all CF bikes are the same I sometimes wonder if they're just talking about the paint colours. My cycling started in earnest in the early 80s and the vast majority of frames were Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL. Sure, some people had 753 or the tester's favourite Ishiwata but as the man says, under all the fancy paint and slightly different lugs the frames weren't that different. All good frame builders could build a frame that rode well and handled properly. So could the factories like Raleigh - there was nothing wrong ride wise with my Raleigh Competition. It all goes slightly wrong in the UK when ultra short wheelbases and steep head angles are beloved by the hardcore testers but we'll gloss over that ;).

His point about cost is an interesting one because in terms of current steel production the likes of Bob Jackson seem to be the only ones making enough frames to keep prices at commodity level in the UK. Genesis do well on price with their Taiwan manufacturing too. He seems to suggest that steel is cheap but maybe that's in terms of manufacturing cost for large scale stuff not retail prices. I've lamented the high cost of boutique jewellery made from steel before but I guess that's the market frame builders have to embrace now. One thing that does wind me up a bit about some steel evangelists is the way they bang on about steel being absolutely the best frame material for performance and durability and then bung the lightest carbon fork they can find on the front end :roll:.

Performance wise I know which bike I go to for pure thrills - carbon every time. I can only compare it to my 80s steel though not modern steel so I might find the likes of a Genesis Volare or Rourke 953 equally up to the task. It's all highly subjective I know but in my case with my particular bikes I feel I can trust the carbon frame just that little bit more to handle superbly under all road conditions and keep me comfy at the same time. I don't deserve what is essentially a Pro-level frame (Bianchi Sempre Pro) but I do enjoy it and it puts a huge grin on my face at times. When I was looking into the purchase I took the pragmatic line and thought "OK, let's see what all the fuss is about with carbon". When it snaps (apparently they do that really easily) I might go for steel again but it would have to be no more expensive than the Bianchi frame and be all steel! My next commuting/club run bike will be steel as I've decided I don't really like aluminium.

Jim Merz has the insider's take on it and a background as a top frame builder to boot so from an industry point of view has loads of authority. His point about marketing is also interesting. I'm struggling to think of any great marketing BS around steel frames BITD in terms of performance but I'm sure someone on here can find something.

Mark.

Good points made there Mark. I don't think that a lot of people realise that there are different grades of carbon fibre as much as there are/were steel. A sub-£1000 CF bike CAN'T be the same as a £10,00 one even if it is 'just carbon fibre'. There are 'gas-pipe' carbons and there are 953 carbons - and a whole gamut of levels and qualities in between.

I think/hope that mine relates to a 531C version (at least!). It isn't stupidly light but it rides well and is comfortable. Plenty good enough to get to the cafe on a Saturday morning.

Depending on if I can be bothered to go of course :roll:

Old Ned":161xwekl said:
Good points made there Mark. I don't think that a lot of people realise that there are different grades of carbon fibre as much as there are/were steel. A sub-£1000 CF bike CAN'T be the same as a £10,00 one even if it is 'just carbon fibre'. There are 'gas-pipe' carbons and there are 953 carbons - and a whole gamut of levels and qualities in between.

I think/hope that mine relates to a 531C version (at least!). It isn't stupidly light but it rides well and is comfortable. Plenty good enough to get to the cafe on a Saturday morning.

Depending on if I can be bothered to go of course :roll:

Motivation lacking? I know that feeling well.

Mark.

I'm sure CF bikes are wonderful to ride. I do find that they tend to look very much alike which probably has much to do with trends in graphics and finishes and a bit to do with the fact that there are only so many factories cranking out the frames and so many firms with the technology to design them well. And sure - BITD there were limited choices in tubing, lugs and well understood practices around geometry and sizing. My days of purchasing even mid range bikes is likely gone forever. Partly that's due to having a family and partly due to the incredible explosion in cost of a top end bike. Because I'm skint I value robust, proven technology that is easy to repair if it goes wrong. I was always a bit of a retrogrouch even back in the 90's and part of my love of steel may be due to me trying to recapture something from my lost youth. Truth be told I don't trust carbon frames either.

I'm the only guy riding steel in my crowd, but I can keep up with the guys on carbon so at my level its not a big deal. Maybe someday I'll own a CF frame, but I doubt it.

Re:

I'm a relatively recent roadie convert, and I am a (British) steel fan.

After riding a Raleigh 853 for over a year and a half, I finally finished my 'summer' bike, a (2004) Rourke 853 with carbon forks, modern running gear and hand made lightweight wheels. It hits the scales at just a fraction over 8kgs. It was the ride after the first long ride on the Rourke that made me jump. I had enjoyed over a year of all winds and weathers riding on the Raleigh, upgraded it a few times and thought it was great, but after the light weight of the Rourke, it felt like a cast iron butchers bike, great for fitness training (going up) and speed (going down), but generally not as nice as the Rourke, although they are both made from Reynolds 853.

At this point I knew I needed a new all year round bike, so started to look at carbon for the first time.

Manufacturers like Boardman have had a great idea from the start, use the same frame, or mould for several models across the range. It may be that some have a slightly different layup or carbon mix, but using a common mould, or one that can have different inserts easily put in and removed (common in cast metal manufacturing in the past) will keep the tooling costs down. More recently, several manufacturers have offered a common top level frame right across the entire range, clever, as it means longer production runs and higher volumes of both materials bought in, and frames going out. Running gear and graphics are all that change between models.

In the end I bought a mid priced carbon bike with a top level frame, weight being my chief driver, the bike had to weigh around the same at my Rourke. In doing so, I have ended up with a carbon bike that rides in such a similar manner to my Rourke, that I am not a sensitive enough rider to tell them apart.

Carbon is now here for all riders with brands like Saracen, Genesis and the new 13 brand, and despite the constant cry of 'open mould' that detractors of any new frame trot out, I think riders are now getting much better bikes than they did in the past, as a looking at some of the old steel affordable 'racers' from the 70's and 80's and prior to alloy becoming the material of choice for entry level bikes, some of those steel bikes were great heavy lumps.

I know weight is not everything, but for a new rider, or someone looking to upgrade from their first drop bar bike, it could be the deciding factor between sticking with cycling, or the bike finding itself at the back of the garage, or on ebay.

dirttorpedo":cg5pwli1 said:
I do find that they tend to look very much alike which probably has much to do with trends in graphics and finishes and a bit to do with the fact that there are only so many factories cranking out the frames and so many firms with the technology to design them well.

This is exactly what I was talking about. If you strip the paint off a bunch of 80s steel bike frames and look at them from a few feet away they'll all look pretty much the same. CF is no worse in that respect, in fact there's probably more variety in tube shapes and designs than with steel. The fact they all look hideous in comparison is another matter. It would be nice to see manufacturers get more bold with their paint schemes but they seem to have to play safe because "stealth" is in. Cannondale look like they are making an effort as I see a nice sky blue one in the window of Evans whenever I walk past. I think the criticism should be not that "carbon bikes all look the same" but "modern bikes all look the same".

Mark.

Re:

I am bemused. Apart from struggling to read the uninspiring text I can't see an argument to buy one. That phrase suggests the text tells me why they are better than anything else.
Not saying I shouldn't just that I fail to see conclusive and in arguable persuasion.
some one please point me to the phrase that I missed.

Back