Headset and stem removal

thebobajob

Devout Dirtbag
Probably a total newbie question but can anybody help me?

Having loosened the stem bolt and the headset nuts I expected the stem to come out so I could remove the forks from the frame of the Sun Snipe I am trying to restore.

The stem and the forks remain resolutely inline and won't budge. I don't want to apply too much pressure as I am now unsure as to whether I am doing the right thing.

The image below shows an arrow pointing to the stem and an arrow pointing to the top of what I thought was the fork. Should it come apart here? Could they just be a bit corroded and need soaking in WD-40? Have I missed loosening something? Have I got this completely wrong?

Any help appreciated please. Thanks.

Attachments

• headset.jpg
    headset.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 373
Re:

The allen bolt on the top of the stem should free the stem from the forks without the need to remove the headset.

So It looks like its stuck, I have never had this myself so I would await further retrobike tips. In the meantime spray some penetrating oil if you can get some down the underside of the forks.

Re: Re:

widowmaker":18xfdp3y said:
The allen bolt on the top of the stem should free the stem from the forks without the need to remove the headset.

So It looks like its stuck, I have never had this myself so I would await further retrobike tips. In the meantime spray some penetrating oil if you can get some down the underside of the forks.

Hmm, that's what I thought and I have been soaking from above and below. I'll await further tips and continue to soak.

Thanks
Bob

Re:

I have in the past used a bar in between the fork and used brute force but that was for a bike I was scrapping.

Did you smack the top of the loose head bolt to free the expander and loosen the stem? if you just remove the bolt the stem will stay in place......................

Shaun

I did try that, as read that in a more modern maintenance book, but was unsure how hard to hit it in case I caused damage and it wasn't something I should be doing on an old bike. Should I just give it a good whack?

Usually it takes a good sharp tap. Use a mallet with a piece of wood between the face and the top of the stem.

Do up the headset again first!

hamster":39at8m8z said:
Usually it takes a good sharp tap. Use a mallet with a piece of wood between the face and the top of the stem.

Do up the headset again first!

Three good whacks and it was free. Thanks for your help. Just need to fashion myself a tool to remove the rest of the headset now.

The upper and lower headtube races. Seen about cutting and old piece of pipe to make a tool to knock then out from the inside. Looked simple and cheap to make and effective.

Back