Bontrager Race X Lite wheels

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone on here use or have owned this wheelset? This brand has never been on my radar. Just collected a frame and got some of these wheels thrown in for a score - just wondered if they are any good? Seem to be one of the early versions 2005 or perhaps 2007 based on a quick internet search.
Opinions & experiences welcomed :)

Re:

Hi fella,

Got a pair of these on my Jackson. Very similar to the Rolf Vector wheels previously specd on Treks. Nice and light as the name suggests. Watch out truing them up if they're the alloy nipple variety, not the best. Replaced mine with brass. Since bought two more sets, one for my Trek, the other for my 29er mtb.

Mike

Quite a fan then Mike! Yes, extremely light - luckily they're straight as an arrow, but noted on the truing. Not a huge fan of wheels with huge gaps in the spoke arrangement, but i'll see how I go with these. Not sure what bike I'll use them on mind.

They appear to be DT hubs badged as Bontrager with DT bladed spokes and looking at the price point of the current incarnation they're up there at the top of Bontragers offering for this type of wheel. I found something this afternoon that suggested these were the wheels that came with the early Trek Madones? Suggests they're a good wheelset.

Re:

Yes my Jackson ones are from my 2006 Madone. Now sporting blue ano rim versions. Easier to clean than normal wheels, and they roll nicely and seem to stay true. Oh, and there's a nice clicky freehub too! :LOL:

Mike

Re:

I noticed the hub 'click' - negates the need for a bell :)

the rear needs new grease but the front just rolls & rolls.

This may mean I need a mid 2000's frame now :facepalm:

Suitable for winter training in your opinion or a bit too race orientated?

Re:

It's a tough one. Ideally I'd use other wheels, however, the only proper wheels I have are those from my Dyna Tech. Not going to happen.

Mike

Re:

Not a big fan of trashing anything nice, having not ridden them I can't make that decision but my gut feeling would be that they are a bit too good for our wonderful winter weather. But as you rightly point out they're easy to clean!

Re:

TBH I do think they're a bit too nice for winter riding. May look for a cheaper set for winter.

Mike

Latest posts

Back