What frame is this? Steve Thornhill

h.whistleford

Retro Newbie
Hi there guys,

I've recently acquired an old 531 frame and was hoping you could give me some help. It’s branded up as ’Steve Thornhill’ who I believe was a bike builder in my local area, Birmingham. However from what I know he didn’t make the frames but bought them in from other frame builders and made them up himself with his own decals and paintwork. I don’t suppose you’d be able to shed any light on the original frame manufacturer by just looking at the frame and style of welding? I’ve attached a couple of pictures and would really appreciate any help you could give.

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 552
  • Head tube weld.jpg
    Head tube weld.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 551
  • Seat tube weld.jpg
    Seat tube weld.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 551
Re: What frame is this?

Looks a nice frame with a typical 80's lattice fade finish. Steve Thornhill was a good road racer before he started his shop. As he was in the Midlands, perhaps the frame might have originated at Autostrada?

Assuming the forks match the frame then the racy paint job may be newer than the frame.

Fully sloping crown with that rake, nutted brakes but under BB cable guides puts it in the early 80's before the lattice / fade. Forks don't look right though. The frame does ring a bell so will have a think. Is there a number on it anywhere?

Shaun

Can't find any number, paint job at the bottom isn't at its best so I can't make anything out.

Cheers

Could be a Crown lots of shops in and around Birmingham used them. you could have them with there decals or your own. My mam had a nice pink one from Worcester city cycles in the mid 80s

Back