Concorde steel frame identification

mvm

Retro Newbie
Please help to identify this Concorde steel frame. I bought it on e-bay. Good condition, but no model info on frame. Seller was from USA.

53 SL stamped in bottom bracket
Seatpost size: 27.2mm
Steerer diameter: 1"
Bottom Bracket: Italian
Rear axle spacing: 130mm
Fork axle: 100mm

Attachments

• 0.JPG
    0.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,076
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,071
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 1,073
Re:

It could well be a Gavina or Squadra from the early 90's.

The frame looks similar to the 89 models, but the fork is wrong for that year.

That said, who can tell with Concorde as they bought frames in from all over Italy. The fact that it has the italian flag braze on on the drive side of the top tube tells you it's a good one.

Check inside the bottom bracket and try to feel for 'rifling' inside the down tube. If it's there, then the tubes are SLX, if not, then more likely it is SL.

Whatever it is, it's a nice one, and I bet it will ride well.

Re:

i would have guessed it was an aquila but i don't recognise the fork crown style or the dropouts . . the embossed italian badge on the top tube gives away the make but i'm not entirely sure of the model. this might have been resprayed as the only aquila frames that i can remember were in columbus SL but the colour schemes were always similar in style (though not always colour) to the PDM team of the late 80s . .

Thanks a lot for reply, I'll check rifling in downtube and weigh frame and fork when return home.

Interesting, there's similarities between modern ciocc and my frame. Geometry (steep head angle), painting scheme with solid color.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 969
  • ciocc.png
    ciocc.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 969
Re:

The popular rumour is that Ciocc manufactured all the frames with the Italian flag on the top tube, although the people at Ciocc at the time have denied this.

My 89 Astore and my 90 Basso Gap have some striking similarities, and it is acknowledged that most / all of Concorde's steel frames came from a variety of Italian frame builders, so, who knows.

Now I think that my frame was repainted - that orange paint inside seat tube. I didn't include this foto in 1st post. Seems now that it will be safer to clean paint and then repaint again, to see actual frame condition, maybe some rust.

Attachments

• 0.JPG
    0.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 963
Previous owner think that frame was not repainted and dates after 2002:

" I really don't know its history (it is too small for me, so I bought it and transferred the components onto a frame that is my size.). It had a Campagnolo Centaur 10-speed group when I purchased it - I'm guessing that it was original to the frame, so it would need to have been produced in 2002 or newer. I don't think it was repainted - the chrome and threads looked so nice and clean. Sometimes, when I see a bike that has been repainted, there is pitting on the chrome or dirt in the bottom bracket or other signs of heavy use - it just looks like this Concorde was well-treated and not ridden very much. "

There were Concorde's painted with one solid color at least in 1993, see page from that year catalog attached. So anything possible.

Attachments

• colors.jpg
    colors.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 956
Back