9 speed compatibility ?

berwyn

Retro Newbie
Does anyone know if 9 speed is compatible with my 90's 753 frame. The chain looks way out of line with the front small chainwheel when I put it on the largest rear sprocket, there is too much crossover. My bottom bracket is a 105mm Campag Chorus. Many Thanks.

It looks like my chainset is out of line, I will try and post a photo tomorrow. You can actually see the chain twisting.

Campag chorus chainset and hub. I will try a shimano rear wheel with a 7 speed ans will let you know

Re:

You have not really given us enough information.

The number of speeds you can run on the frame will be dictated by the width of the rear drop outs. If you have a width of 130mm, then you can run up to an eleven speed cassette, so a nine speed cassette is fine.

The twisting could be something completely different.

Campag is not my area of expertise, but I think there are compatibility issues between early and late nine speed set ups. However, if all the chainset is matching and if you have the correct width bottom bracket, then you really shouldn't be in trouble.

The Shimano wheel may or may not work as there is very little compatibility between the two manufacturers.

Photos of your current set up would help.

A 90s frame was likely made for 9 speed, so the issues could be too long bottom bracket spindle/// chain is too long////

Back