Ellis Briggs "Favori" - my 1st restoration project

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Although I run a "retro" bike its a well preserved one I've had since new so I've never taken on a restoration project - until now.

I've had a hankering for a classic British frame for a while now and when I saw this bike on eBay I dismissed it at first because the frame was too big.

However, I then spotted the fork stickers with my club's name on them and the bike just called out to me. A classic frame from a top quality Yorkshire builder owned from new by an ex-member of my club. How could I resist?

14969223619_7d131bfa14_b.jpg

It has an interesting collection of parts some of which seem earlier than the frame. Looking online I can see an earlier frame number than mine being attributed to 1969 so mine would seem likely to be 1970. I'm still trying to identify the exact models of all the parts but so far this is what I know.

Frame: Reynolds 531 DB frame and forks.
Chainset: Stronglight (49D?) with massive chainrings.
Pedals: Chater Lea - model unknown
Rear Mech: Campagnolo Gran Sport - maybe 1950s as it has plain metal pulleys and no cable adjuster
Front Mech: Campagnolo - model unknown
Gear Levers: Campagnolo bar ends
Brakes: Mafac - model unknown
Saddle: Brooks B17 Champion Narrow
Seatpost: Alloy - model unknown
Stem: Milremo
'Bars: GB
Front Hub: Campagnolo - 3 piece body - straight skewer
Rear Hub: Campagnolo - single piece body - straight skewer
Rims: Fiamme sprints - model unknown but remnants of a red label on the rear
Tubs: Wolber Junior on the rear - Nouvo Alberto on the front
Freewheel: 5 speed - maker unknown

I will be restoring the original parts as much as possible and replacing like for like if anything is totally shot as long as it doesn't cost a fortune.
There are a few patches of bad rust on the frame which will need rubbing down and touching up but I really don't want to respray it if at all possible.
Both wheels are laced with chrome plated spokes and they are all shot so a complete rebuild of both wheels is needed.

I'll try to keep this thread updated as I go along and post some pictures of bits I can't identify as I know that between all you more knowledgeable guys on here you'll be able to fill in the blanks for me!

Cheers,
Mark.

Re:

That's smashing!

daccordimark":b1aufmd9 said:
I will be restoring the original parts as much as possible and replacing like for like if anything is totally shot as long as it doesn't cost a fortune.
There are a few patches of bad rust on the frame which will need rubbing down and touching up but I really don't want to respray it if at all possible.

You're gonna keep that bar tape though I hope...

Yea I agree - it would be a tragedy to loose that bar tape.
More seriously - lucky find and great bike!

Re:

All looks typical of mid 1950s to 1960.
TA adaptor on 49D, TA were better than the later Campagnolo rings, both having milled teeth. Chain rings pretty standard for the time, probably 54 x 14 high gear. This gave 10 evenly spaced gears.
Rear hub obviously later than front.
Mafac racer brakes.
Chater made those pedals with stainless side plates from the early 1930s.
This is pretty much what I used to sell in the 1950s.

Keith

Nice find :D Very typical of the bikes I rode and worked on BITD. We simply bought what we thought would do the job or looked nice, acquired used off other club members or hand-me-downs. The concept of the"groupset" was for the professional rider of those with a lot of money.

Ellis Briggs are still on the go and do answer e-mails. They have records of their frames so a quick e-mail with picture and frame number should nail down what it is:)

Shaun

So the broken spokes are the least of my worries. How did I not spot this when I picked the bike up. :facepalm:

14969365947_ed508ebd36_b.jpg

Thanks for the tips so far on components.

Judging by the 'bar tape and general state of the bike I wonder if it's been stored in a leaky old shed and attacked by mice.

My big problem now is that I haven't got a tool that will fit the crank bolts. They look to have a 16 or 17mm head and my 17mm socket won't fit inside the crank. Then I've got the problem of finding a reasonably priced 23.35mm Stronglight remover! Anyone fairly local to West Yorkshire got one I can borrow?

Cheers,
Mark.

Re:

daccordimark":2fj2v475 said:
Then I've got the problem of finding a reasonably priced 23.35mm Stronglight remover

Sorry can't help with the tool. Hilary Stone seems to have some but they're a bit pricey. http://www.hilarystone.com/tools.html

I guess you know that the TA size is almost the same, but not quite, and that they're not interchangeable.

It looks like he has some Fiamme road rims in 36h too...

Edit: Spa cycles stock the repro extractors...

daccordimark":2g2nr91r said:
My big problem now is that I haven't got a tool that will fit the crank bolts. They look to have a 16 or 17mm head and my 17mm socket won't fit inside the crank.

Given the frequency at which I needed to use the tool, I spent a whole £11.something on a set of box spanners from Machine Mart. They're crude but the metal is solid enough & did the job. An inexpensive way of solving the problem. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... set-metric don't ask me why they are £21 on the website, they were £11ish two weeks ago in my local store.

Latest posts

Back