What Colnago and possible to restore?

Flandria

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I was lucky today and picked up this frame today for next to nothing. It's a Colnago in my size (60,5 ctc) but I would like to know which type it is exactly. And more: any advice on (and if possible!)on restoring this Italian road queen.

The frame and some details:

CL5zMyy.jpg

OD1RblF.jpg

mxnhran.jpg

SAO1ARM.jpg

Pf6eLpg.jpg

cY2wmhB.jpg

Unfortunately, there's a (big) problem with the rear dropout on the driveside. Is this repairable by a framebuilder? And is this a difficult task?

EaJHT09.jpg

Frame also had some rusty spots (around the headtube-toptube-lug and BB area), which you can see in the pictures below. A quick sanding turned into the results below. Would this pose a problem for a respray? Looks to me that with patience, sanding paper and some sore fingers this won't pose a big problem?

hoxNByd.jpg

bSATUib.jpg

r2XyGKe.jpg

wyYcEcP.jpg

ePTTN4R.jpg

kORFEHL.jpg

Narrowed my search down to a 1983/4 Super, like this one in waaaaaaaaay better shape: http://www.velociao.com/2012/colnago-super-198384/.

Odd thing are the cable guides on the toptube, which are on the underside. The other Supers I see have two cable guides on the top tube? Would this have been a respray, considering the rather ugly decal design and the rough, filled finish on the lugs?

Decals certainly aren't original. Drop-out is repairable and you should be able to track down a matching Campagnolo one to match. I'd be concerned about corrosion, particularly around the BB and chainstays - it's not uncommon for frames to corrode completely from the inside-out. The corrosion under the paint means you'll struggle to get a decent respray finish too. Suggest you use paint stripper or even get it media-blasted and then look at the frame tubes carefully for pin-holes and cracks. Tubes can be replaced, but factoring in the costs with a respray would likely render it an uneconomic project given the price you can pick-up a decent frame for.

+1 to Monty Dogs comments. Corrosion wise, that looks on first impressions quite severe. A frame builder would perhaps give you an honest opinion as to how deep seated the corrosion is.

FINNEY1973":dzlpp2o8 said:
+1 to Monty Dogs comments. Corrosion wise, that looks on first impressions quite severe. A frame builder would perhaps give you an honest opinion as to how deep seated the corrosion is.

Thanks for the comments gentlemen! I asked a second opinion today from a friend, who has been restoring bikes for ages now. He told me that the rust wouldn't pose big problems, if the frame is prepared well before the repaint. He has a friend who does the resprays of his frames and is very passionate about it. So the frame will be in good hands :). Plan is (though slowly, and when funds allow it) to have the broken dropout repaired by a pro welder. After, the frame will be blasted so see if there are any problems. Afterwards professional respray, with lots of love and patience.

Am I right when I think it's a '84 Super? Cause that's when these fork where introduced, no? Odd thing are the top tube cable guides, which go under the toptube...

I guess this has been sorted? but second on the Super id, or could be a Mexico? The difference was the weight of the tube set (the Mexico being the lighter)

Back