What make is this bike????

Nickylist06

Retro Newbie
Hi, I have recently got my hands on this old bike but I have no idea what make it is. I am looking at refurbishing it and would like to do a bit of research on it before I do. The only identification I can find is a serial number on the down tube of the frame ( just under where the seat slides into). The serial number is 086298. It has 10 gears, a mound on the front right hand fork which has the dynamo fitted. It has a square bracket on the back left part of the frame and it also has the pump holder on the underside of the cross tube. The handle bars are haweg, the gearing is simplex and the breaks are weinmann.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Nick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 320
Hi Shaun, i have had a look and i cannot find any on the internet that are the same (with the mount and rear brackets on the folks and the handle bars). its as if they only made one and no one took a photo of it!

All I can see is a smal photo on it's side and it was the kit that made me think Raleigh.........simplex and weinmann were a typical combination. That chainset also loks like a Raleigh 3 arm item. Have you any ther pics?

Shaun

Hi Shaun. Here are some more photos. I have stripped the paint back and the serial number was in fact C86298. Also the wheel size is 27 x 1 1/4". I really can't find it anywhere !

Thanks again for your help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 243
Here is one more photo. This is what I can't seam to find on other bikes. This bracket and the mounting plate on at the rear which is shown in one of the photos. Have you seen them before?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 242
Blimey..........that certainly does not look UK ! Tea is on the table and will have a look after Chinese :)

Shaun

Not a Raleigh, thats for sure!

Mounting bracket on the forks is for a dynamo I think, and the rear one could well be some sort of lock

I'm not really up on anything other than Raleigh, but I'd say it was something 'foreign' or perhaps a Universal or something of that ilk.

and MrW yes the front bracket is for a dynamo. if you look at the top picture that is how i found he bike. id certainly say it was older than 1970's, maybe even 50's?

Back