Another what BB spindle length post (ashamed).

Uncle Monty

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Apologies. Yet another one of these.

I have bought a nice set of Campagnolo Strada cranks off eBay.

As they don't have the raised boss by the pedal thread, I would say they are post '61. The smaller ring is 42 and a rough measurement makes it 144 BCD. So I think they are early to mid 60s.
They are going on the Hetchins which seems to have a BB shell wider than 68 but not 70. Am I right in thinking the correct BB for these will probably be an English 68 with a 118mm axle? I have also seen 112 & 114 mentioned for Strada double cranks.

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Chris.

112mm :) the slightly longer one arrived in the late 70's caused by a change to the design of the front mech.......

Is there anything stamped on the back of the cranks? a number in a diamond?

Shaun

Re:

Thank you O oracle of the BB spindle length...

No - nothing at all, just 170 strada on the arms, slightly raised around the centre of the spider, pretty coarse feed rate on the machine! The 42T chainring has a letter C in a diamond, but that is not to say it is the original ring. All the bolts are marked patent Campagnolo. Shall I go for a 68 or a 70 spindle?

Hetchins would have used a 68mm BB shell. The BB axle you need should be stamped 68-SS-120 or 68-SS,

112-114.5mm should be OK for those cranks :) , the longer one is the more modern.

As they are not dated then they are pre 1972, good nick though :D

Shaun

Re:

Thanks Shaun. That's really helpful. Better see if I can find one then. I have some brakes on the way, early 70s again. Just need levers, the bb and some suitable cables.

The cranks are very nice. Bit of wear, probably a toeclip strap rubbing on the non drive side arm. Rings are really good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-SU ... 27e94be015

The above is a later one with (114.5mm likely) 68-SS markings and a recessed fixed cup, thick walled and rifled to expel water / crud. but at 17 quid should get you up and about even if the bearing faces look somewhat trashed.

The 70's is my era :) what brakes have you gone for?

Shaun

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Err - Nuovo Record pre CPSC from about '76, so my 50s Hetchins build is turning into a dogs dinner from a period correct point of view, but at least it will be on the road. Next thing will be that Simplex suicide shifter I fitted. Bet it won't handle the 42-52, so I will then be hunting for a front mech and a Campagnolo left hand single shifter on a band that I can mount above or below the brazed on boss for the right hand shifter....

Interestingly Simplex did a left hand shifter with a big hole in the band that fitted over the brazed boss on the right hand side....... probably as rare as a left hand shifter on a simple band :(

Shaun

Back