Raleigh record sprint

Tractorjon

Retro Newbie
Hi, its my first time on here and I wondered if anybody has any idea of the age of my raleigh record sprint.

Thanks Jon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 570
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 570
Re:

I'd plump for 1989-90, as that was the model I once wanted as a teenager and remember it well. Later Record Sprints used smaller, more restrained decals with less bling (and Shimano Tourney SIS or Sachs Classic index derailleurs with plastic levers rather than the Light Action model shown). Older ones had even more gold anodised bits (including Weinmann calipers and non-aero levers), with the earliest versions having ovalised frame tubes (as per the Raleigh Quasar), and no index gearing; friction gears came in the shape of a Sachs Rival rear mech anodised with yet more - you guessed it - gold!*

David

*Sorry, I momentarily came over all Spandau Ballet there.

Earliest RRS had campag 980 and suicide levers, david. The Aerospace Contour bikes had Shimano 105, Sachs Rival was loads later, 1987ish.

I'd say about 1989 for this one too. Almost all Raleighs that year had similar disgusting decal designs. Would be interesting to see how bad they made sales plummet (unless Times New Roman was in fashion?)

Serial number says all.

Re:

Thanks for the replies.
I am glad you are saying pre 1990 as i want to ride it in a vintage do here in France.

I cant see the serial number as the paint and cable guide are covering the area.

Thanks
Jon

Re: Re:

Tractorjon":27m7apc1 said:
Thanks for the replies.
I am glad you are saying pre 1990 as i want to ride it in a vintage do here in France.

I cant see the serial number as the paint and cable guide are covering the area.

Thanks
Jon

Deinitely pre-1990. The third character of the serial number will tell you all you need to know.... if you can read it! Whatever it is, it'll be the year from the 1980's either a 7, 8 or 9.

Back