70s/80s Duravia chainset question

voltebras

Retro Newbie
Hi all

I recently bought a 70's/80's Duravia "Type Grand Tourist(e?) [the decal is peeling off at the end so not sure about the last 'e'...!]. It's got a Stronglight 50 (3 arm) chainset/Stronglight TS crankset; and a close ratio 6-speed cassette at the back, on 120mm spacing.

The chain keeps skipping/clunking when I apply anything more than light pressure on the pedals. I assumed when I bought it that this would be a sprocket/chainset issue [unless anyone here disagrees?], and that it wouldn't be a problem..... :oops:

Of course it turns out that it's going to be a little saga, from the advice I've already sought at my local bike shop!

Some questions that I would really appreciate some of you knowledgable people answering:

1) Do I need to replace the chainset AND the cassette, or is it more likely that it's EITHER the chainset OR the cassette? If so, how do i know which it is?
2) Do I need to replace the cassette like-for-like, in terms of make/model, or will any 6 (or 7 according to Sheldon) speed cassette do as a replacement?
3) Any ideas/tips/advice you can offer would be great, to help me on my way in this baptism by fire!

Thanks guys!

I'm no expert, but I would suspect this is a freewheel/chain problem. Six speed is much more likely to be a screw-on freewheel rather a cassette. Happily, both 6 speed freewheels and chains are readily available and not unduly expensive. I would change both components at the same time and you MAY be able to fix the problem without changing your chainset (possibly a pricier purchase).

Or, if you have a friend with a suitable rear wheel, you could simply substitute this as a test and see if that fixes the problem? Sprockets and chains wear together (and chain wear can be measured with a gauge), so it's almost inevitable (not to mention desirable) that you chain may need replacing.

Others will know more

HW

As hillwalker says it sounds like a freewheel / chain problem. BITD we always changed the "block and chain" together to avoid the problem. Luckily new freewheel / chain does not cost the earth :D

Shaun

Brilliant, thanks guys. I've now bought a new (NOS) 6 speed freewheel (with French thread, as it's a vintage Duravia) and a new (almost) stronglight TS chainset from BITD too, for good measure, as the one on the bike is looking like a load of shark fins... Can I just get a normal modern chain for these or do I have to do more trawling?

Thanks again

B

Hi B

a modern 6 speed chain will do just fine. Magic links are so much more convenient than using a chainsplitter/joiner. I would be inclined to spend a little more than for just a basic chain if you've splashed out for a new chainwheel. A ha'poth of tar and all that...

HW

Latest posts

Back