Raleigh bottom bracket and shell, I'm puzzled.

Ritz

Dirt Disciple
This has got me scratching my head.

I've been refurbishing my Raleigh Twenty and have come up against this problem.

The original chainring, cranks, worn bearings or even the axle indicated something was buckled, couldn't quite fathom it out.

No problem I thought as I was doing a full refurbishment anyway.

I used new parts to replace the axle, bearings, chainring and cranks.

So everything is nice and new, spin the chainring and the buckle or out of alignment is still there :roll:

The only thing I can think of is the shell threadings or the shell is not welded square to the down tubes.

It's got me puzzled :?:

Whats the same as before? Its making odd nosies?, feels rough? Not clear what you mean. :)

Re:

Sorry I'll change the posting :oops:

The buckle or out of alignment is still the same.

No noises, spins nicely.

Re:

Eleven ball bearings a side, have you got an extra one in?

If the chainring buckle is in the same place every time, and up to about 1/4 inch, then the chain ring is out of true, which is common, we used to tap them with a soft hammer.

Keith

Eleven per side.

The thing is the new chain ring is showing the same buckle as the old one , unless it's a coincidence, which made me think bottom shell or cups.

Re:

Very unlikely the bottom bracket shell out of line, but that would not make the chainwheel wobble. We used to adjust the bearings so that there was a slight movement at the crank, if worn there is more one side than the other.
If the cranks rotate smoothly it has to be the chainwheel.
Keith

Hi Keith,

I've discounted the shell, cotter pins are tight, I must have two buckled chainwheels now :?

Time to get the hammer out then. :D

Re:

I still have my hide face hammer that I used 60 years ago.
It does not require heavy blows to straighten them.

Keith

Latest posts

Back