Custom frame and fork - but what paint?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
After loads of pathetic whining, I have gone down the custom steel frame (and fork) route. Anticipation is high but I still have to decide on a paint scheme and could do with some suggestions as I'm Libran.

I'm going with two colours but not a fade. Part of me is thinking navy and orange (navy the main colour). Other parts are thinking differently (mainly about Olga Kurylenko if I'm honest). Build will be silver parts.

So, what colour schemes should be considered? A photo would help to illustrate as I struggle to visualise (La Kurylenko excepted, obviously).

Re:

i agree that it should be a darker colour if the components are to be silver (good choice by the way as black is everywhere at the moment, yawn) if you are going for a classic look then navy or dark green with white or silver panels on the down and seat tube i think are the way to go, not the top tube though (that's a bit bonty which i don't think works to well on other brands)

i'm crap with photo shop etc though so i'll have a look for pictures.

Hmmmmmm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 919
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 919
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 919
I had to google her but yes, I can see why you're distracted :LOL:

Are you thinking of a retro style paint? 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s (fluo!) - just some details in the contrasting colour, or full panels or sections?

basic gloss or metallic?

saddle, tape and hood colour? (or does that depend on the frame?)

I'll agree though that with silver parts, a darker colour looks better!

Giro Pink, Harry Quinn brightest yellow or time trial titanium dioxide white (lack of imagination) are my 70's colours.......any chrome?

Shaun

Dark colour plus contrast as here on my Trevor Jarvis (sorry about the poor pics; my phone is not that good).

Like you I agonised for a long time selecting the colours, the green was fairly easy (sorry Shaun I know it's unlucky - at least NOW I do :shock: ) . The closeup pic of the downtube is the best match to the actual colour.

The contrast is Ivory and only selected at the very last minute whilst I stood in the office at Bob Jackson's and saw a frame there which used Ivory as a contrast. I was going to have White, but am very pleased with the result.

Barber's Pole as a typical retro decoration and to highlight the unusual frame construction.

Must take some better pics...

HW

Attachments

• 101_0168.JPG
    101_0168.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 840
  • 101_0171.JPG
    101_0171.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 840
Current leader is the navy/orange combo followed by Merlot/pink and an Oxbridge navy/baby blue combo with the look inspired by.....

And for those who don't want to search for the lovely Olga......

Attachments

• orlowski-sscx-commuter-10206_5.jpg
    orlowski-sscx-commuter-10206_5.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 815
  • 600full-olga-kurylenko.jpg
    600full-olga-kurylenko.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 815
Have you visited Bikecad.ca?

If you have a road frame the 'Quick Start' option is set up with a basic road frame by default; but you can add in lugs, etc; and the paint tool (the colour wheel on the toolbar) has custom paint options - including bars, panels and I think even barber poles. I use it to help with colour schemes when there's something that's out of the ordinary to visualise.
It doesn't have metallic colours, but overall it can be a useful assist.

Latest posts

Back