Raleigh 653 Restoration

Matt_wood55

Senior Retro Guru
This is the bike that I keep at my in laws. I am not sure when it was made as it is a frame only that my dad had built up with Campagnolo Chorus. I have not found any reference to it in Raleigh catalogues on the net, but I guess it's 1988 - 1990 sort of age. I know it's in a catalogue somewhere though as I remember my dad picking it out

Anyway, it's showing signs of ageing with rust under the top tube and on the cable guides, so I am nipping that in the bud and getting a respray as it holds a lot of sentimental value.

I am thinking of having it powder coated in a matt dark grey, with the Raleigh decals being replaced with the same design but in black. No Quarter Bikes who have posted on here offer the service at a reasonable price and are local to me, so I think I will give them a shot.

Any thoughts on the colour, I want a mean and moody look, so a matt finish should give that. Pics attached as it is today, more for my record of the renovation than for anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 458
I like it as it is! The same colour with white decals, tape, hoods and saddle would be my choice

sorry if that's no help!

Re:

That colour looks really nice.I would keep as is and treat the problem bits. Got to be more sentimental value looking as your dad had it and once it is refinished you wont ever get that back again. Oh and please dont powder coat it.O.k. for hack bikes and mtb but that needs a pro enamel finish. I hear there are also problems with keeping decals stuck to powder coat though it is not something I have ever tried.Give yourself time for a good think before you rush in either direction. Once you have lost that finish you have lost it for good

Regards
Peter

Re: Re:

half cog":c7tg4e62 said:
That colour looks really nice.I would keep as is and treat the problem bits. Got to be more sentimental value looking as your dad had it and once it is refinished you wont ever get that back again. Oh and please dont powder coat it.O.k. for hack bikes and mtb but that needs a pro enamel finish. I hear there are also problems with keeping decals stuck to powder coat though it is not something I have ever tried.Give yourself time for a good think before you rush in either direction. Once you have lost that finish you have lost it for good

Regards
Peter

Agreed about the colour. On the other hand I've never had any bother with powder coat and decals, but the firm I used always put a lacquer over the top rather than just despatching my frames in powder-only condition.
The frame seems to date from 1990ish - slightly earlier frames of this type used serif block caps Raleigh script for the down tube transfers. I found the exact same frame via Google, on a motoring forum of all places!! Its owner puts 1990 as the year of purchase:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... F%3F%3F%3F

David

Either white tape and saddle, or black tape, saddle and groupset. Frame colour is fantastic as it is.

Honestly i don't see what needs restoring? More like a service.

Bats":3gyiitfj said:
Either white tape and saddle, or black tape, saddle and groupset. Frame colour is fantastic as it is.

Honestly i don't see what needs restoring? More like a service.
I've got to catch the rust before it goes too far - both top tube and the down tube are getting to the point where if it's not dealt with, it will be beyond the point of return.

Cheers
Matt

Back