Can anybody identify the make of my vintage tubular rims?

negaultra7

The Number Of The Beast
Can anybody identify the make of my vintage tubular rims? they are 700c on vintage Campagnolo hubs

campywheels011.jpg

campywheels010.jpg

campywheels009.jpg

Any advise would be great
Neil

Re:

probably true for AVA's

but mavic also had such shaped tags :idea: with Licence Longhi on the sides
between 1934 and 1947 !

as well as this tag from 1945 and later

and later AVA's are like this :mrgreen:

pretty rare in France these AVA's - first time I saw them , having bought the wheels from an old cyclist from the 70's

We sold AVA rims with Normandy hubs in the 70's as budget sprints.........absolutely nothing wrong with them apart from being slightly heavy and not having a "brand" name............I used to race them as a schoolboy LOL

Shaun

Re: Re:

negaultra7":1rq0sw6v said:
Thats great do you have any info on AVA?

There is very little information on AVA but here is what I gathered

AVA is french manufacturer of bike parts which was based in Lyon

Apparently, it became more focused on bars but also produced rims

it was certainly related to Mavic as brothers were heading both companies in the 50/60's
and an ad was featuring both makes in the 50's

I suspect AVA focused on bars at the end and Mavic on rims - but AVA also produced rims

It ceased in 1968 ( having bought in 65 by the company who did produce Rigida rims)

see here some very interesting information on manufacturers of bike related parts or bikes from Lyon which gave me most of this info

http://anciensveloslyonnais.weebly.com/ ... leurs.html

...........and Mavic only learnt to make proper rims when they acquired Superchampion via Wolber and Michelin :D

Shaun

Midlife":4s1s6510 said:
We sold AVA rims with Normandy hubs in the 70's as budget sprints.........absolutely nothing wrong with them apart from being slightly heavy and not having a "brand" name............I used to race them as a schoolboy LOL

Shaun

I weighed this specific model of AVA tubular rim on Normandy Luxe Competition hubs and the weight was similar to Super Champion tubular rims on first generation small flange Dura Ace hubs :idea:

believe it was more an issue of "brand" name rather than competitiveness :!:

Midlife":4s1s6510 said:
...........and Mavic only learnt to make proper rims when they acquired Superchampion via Wolber and Michelin :D

Shaun

believe you're a bit harsch on Mavic Shaun :LOL:
can't find actually when they bought Wolber - very little info available on the history of the makes ( Super Champion too)

Back