Carlton Identification

Braziliain

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

I'm a new member here and relatively new to classic road bikes.

I bought a 1991 Raleigh Vitesse back in November as a cheap way to try road biking with a few mates after years of mountain biking. I got hooked and have now ridden over 2000 miles on the Raleigh including several sportives and a coast to coast!

Raleigh001.jpg

So I couldn't help myself and I bought this Carlton as I loved the look of the lugwork and the chrome forks.... Anybody have any ideas what year/model it is? I hope to restore it and ride the wheels off it around the North Yorks countryside :)

Carlton001.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help

Looks like early 70's, Raleigh era Carlton to me. Any chance of some more pics?

Oh and don't worry, I'm sure there will be a Carlton expert along very soon.....

Frame says earlier (early-mid 70s) graphics say late 70s... porbably made at the point when crepsera lugs were dropped and the block type came in.

Is the paint original? could well be a reworked Criterium.

Thanks for the replies. I'll take some extra photos tonight and see if I can read the frame number. Any idea what the chrome forks are about? Are these likely to be aftermarket or did Carlton build some framesets with chrome forks? The lugwork on the forks appears to match the frame...

The Criterium from the early 70s had all chrome forks. Hence my thing the decals are later.

The square decals had a limited run of only about 2 years for production bikes 1975-77 ish, they lasted longer on the Pro Team frames....the only popular carlton bike I can think of that had your decals was the Grand Prix which came in Fire Red mostly.

The Frame you have is 1968-1972 so is earlier than the Decals.........I'd have gone for an earlier Criterium which didn't yet have the braze on hanger for the centre pull brakes on the seat stays.

Shaun

I have had a look on the bottom of the bb shell and the frame number starts WE7.
There is a sticker on the seat tube which says 'Raleigh Industries 20-30 Tubing'

The chrome forks have a bolt on the right fork about half way down which looks like it might be for fixing a light?

the seat stays wrap around over the cross bar similar to the Criteriums I looked at.

I'm not sure if the paint is original but where it is scratched a little I cant see any other colours below...

The bottom bracket appears to be a British standard 24tpi. It has simplex friction shifters, rear mech and front mech. The wheels are 27" and stamped made in France.

WE7 is a 1977 number so it's a bit later than I thought............might mean the decals are period. Can't think of a chromed fork Carlton from that time........... going to have a ponder :)

Shaun

Back