Shimano 105 FH-1056

elspedo

Dirt Disciple
Evening,

My back wheel is running on a Shimano 105 FH-1056 hub which I believe is an 8 speed hub? The guy who owned it before me put a 7 speed on there.

My question is (I am after riding a lot of hills) can I put a 10 speed cassette on there without changing anything, maybe need spacers? Or am I better putting an 8 speed back on there and just changing the gear ratio? If so any recommendations?

Re:

Good to know... I've just picked up a bike with this same hub, 8-speed. I have matching downtube shifters, which have a friction option. Presumably this shifter will also handle 10-speed if I give upthe indexing and move to friction? Thanks.

Yes - the 10 speed rear mech needs a different cable pull, not sure whether the old levers can pull enough cable. I've never tired a 10 speed chain in the older mech - it may be fine but you might have to change the jockeys.

You´ll need a 10-speed chain too, of course, to run a 10-speed cassette.

You *might* have problems with the narrower chain shifting between the chainrings up front.

I´m not sure what Hamster means by ´the 10 speed rear mech needs a different cable pull´. The 8-speed indexing won´t work, obviously, but in friction mode the DT shifter will work fine, albeit a bit finnicky. The old levers will pull enough cable assuming the rear mech sweeps across all 8 rear sprockets - a 10 speed cassette is actually slightly narrower than an 8-speed!

HTH

Back