Advice for a complete novice

tomosllyr

Dirt Disciple
Basically I'm interested in entering the world of cycling, and like the idea of doing it through a slightly older bike. I am mechanically minded, but a complete novice when it comes to bikes.

There are two bikes I've currently got my eye on; a Raleigh Equipe and a Townsend Super Sport (which I can find very little about after a google search).

What I want to know is how easy will I find compatible parts for these sorts of bikes, and how easy is it to improve/modernise them? I'd be looking at using it a bit over the Summer, then spend Winter refurbishing and attempting to modernise it ready for next Summer.

Also as a side point, what are these kind of bikes like to ride and am I better off spending a bit doing something like this up rather than go for a budget new racer? Although I think I've made my mind up about this already so not so much of an issue.

Thanks for any advice or information; I'm in the dark a bit at the moment!

Don't know much about the Townsend Super Sport, but the Equipe was an entry level bike - how much, if you don't mind me asking, is the seller asking? From memory, the Equipe is fairly standard set-up, so should be relatively easy to update/find replacement parts as and when.

Welcome to the forum!

Re:

As I'm looking for a long-term project it could extend to £200 or maybe even a bit more. What I'm worried about is that my dad has just got a new racer for £400, and that I should just save whatever I'd spend modernising an older model to spend on a new bike.

Re:

Sorry I misread your question - I'm going to see the bikes today so not sure what he's asking yet, but they're not looking particularly fresh so I wouldnt want to spend much on them anyway. I just wanted to know if its worth it at all.

My opinion - you won't get a really decent new racer for that kind of money BUT you can get a really decent retro racer for less money than that. Personally, I wouldn't opt for the Equipe - it's gonna be heavy steels with low budget parts. Buy something with decent tubing (Reynolds 531, Columbus etc) and a decent group set for, say, £150 and spend the remainder on a bit of maintenance/bling!

Something like this, maybe:

$_1.JPG

531 hand-built racer, currently on the Bay in the Southampton area. 11 hours to go, just £30 so far… Packed with Campag/Shimano 600/105 parts… That's a way better start, I'd say, than an Equipe.

Happy hunting!

Re:

Thanks that's the kind of thing I wanted someone to say one way or the other.

Are there any guides or hints for choosing a good groupset or finding compatible ones? I am doing this with no prior knowledge of bikes whatsoever.

Re:

If you could make your way to a bike jumble there is a good chance of picking up a nice lightweight bike for £400 max & it`s possible to get a perfectly functional & stylish steed. Some of the sellers are dealers but lots are ordinary enthusiasts who wouldn`t rip you off. If you aim for a 531 frame & probably shimano parts then you`ve made a good start. Someones old `best bike` which has done a couple of seasons as a trainer might be perfect. Don`t aim too high for a first bike, you probably need to get out on the road & see if it`s for you.
Prices have gone up somewhat since the hipster fixie craze, hopefully that fad is on the wane now & they`ll be buying vintage skateboards or steel filing cabinets instead.

I was lucky enough to watch the Tour in Yorks twice at the weekend, hundreds of £££££ bikes about, but a chat with a 70 yr old on his `60`s Holdsworth was more impressive to me.

http://www.bikejumbles.co.uk

Good luck with the search!

A £400 brand new racing bike will be far from decent, infact it will probably be a heavy lump of low quality.

£250 should get you a decent second hand retro racing bike, that wille significantly lighter than a £400 new bike.

Re:

I went to see them. The Townsend turned out to be a 531, but was only 50cm so probably too small for me (I'm 5'10"). But was so impressed with the frame that I'll definitely be looking for another.

Back