What's the fastest you've ever gone?

Meejoir

Retro Guru
I took my recently finished refurb project out on its debut sportive at the weekend, Virgin Cyclone. My beloved Principia Rex e, 2003 notched up some great speeds on the downhills in darkest Northumberland.

The top speed I got was 47.6mph, a full 4mph faster than I got on the same ride last year on my Raleigh Equipe. Totally exhilarating and it neatly got me to the top of the following climb, I thought I could've gone faster I think but I was just living for the moment. 6 months hard work refurbing the old dear and she paid me back in about a minutes worth of decent.

Just out of interest, what's the fastest you've had out of your vintage ride?

25mph on the flat, and I could have gone faster if I wasn't wearing a coat and cursing the friction shifters.

Re:

Sweet jesus :)

I am 43, ride a 1985 Raleigh with Weinmann brakes with original brake pads. I daren't go over 5mph :cool:

Re:

Before I replaced the brakes on my Raleigh Equipe it had the Weinmann suicide Levers. You had to give 3 weeks notice pulling those things.

Re: Re:

Meejoir":1xg3rkqa said:
Before I replaced the brakes on my Raleigh Equipe it had the Weinmann suicide Levers. You had to give 3 weeks notice pulling those things.
Funnily enough this sounds similar when I want to have sex with the missus! Then she always had some bloody excuse!

Back