Info and advice on a Team replica 12 in Panasonic team color

kayekit

Retro Newbie
I decided that i needed a project, so i got my hands on a Team replica 12 frame in Panasonic team colors.

My plan is to restore it to most of the original Campagnolo parts, but replace the bottom bracket and cranks with modern parts.

I dont know much about the frame and would love to know if its any good, where it was ranked in the frames of the time and what it is worth...

the frame is a large frame in 531c.

so far i have:

Campagnolo record hubs (vintage)
mavic gp4 red lable rims (vintage)
nuovo record rear derailleur (vintage)
nuovo record front dreailleur (vintage)
surer record headset (vintage)
record carbon bottom bracket (modern)
record carbon cranks (modern)

Id also be interested if anyone has parts that im missing... I dont have a big budget, but im good at restoration.

Welcome to the forum

1) Pic's are always most welcome in here, so get yourself a flickr or photo bucket account and get posting!

2) The frame number for most Raleigh's will date it, and there may even be scans of the original brochure online. If you post it up, I'll have a look for you

3) Ask as many questions as you can/want to, the information gained in here is invaluable in my experience

4) The wanted forum is handy for picking up missing parts

5) The bike is worth what someone will pay for it, but on the basis you've only just acquired it then I doubt you'll be selling it again? So to you, it's priceless!

6) Enjoy it, and keep spreading the good name of the Heron!

Don't fit the modern parts matey! You'll spoil the look of it.

Don't buy cheap tubs like the Vittoria Rally but go for a quality one which can be fitted dead straight with no valve problems.

You will also need..

Grey outer brake cable casing.
Benotto pearl white handlebar tape.
Isca Selle Tornado saddle in black. [if you can find one that is, if not a black Turbo will look good]

Cheers.
Ian.

Re:

Putting a modern chainset on but keeping ancient friction gears seems the wrong way round to me.

Chainwheels have the simplest job ever, but derailleurs have changed loads.

Re:

Thanks for the responses guys!

I do fully appreciate that restoring this bike to its full original spec is by far the best way to go. But as i said i am not very good for money at the moment and it just so happened that i had the crank and bottom bracket already..

I will look to source original parts if i can find them cheap!

Some of these bikes have been restored with shimano 105 golden arrow... is this standard? because i was lead to believe that i had to do a full campag restore??

I have found the frame number: WB3003831

Hopefully you can let me know a bit about it?

"MrW" the frame is priceless to me at the moment, but i would still like to know its relative value and where it stood in the "frame rankings" at the time.. mainly because the frame has some rust and chips.. id like to know if its worth saving up the £££ to get a new enamel bake paint job to bring it back to perfect. I don't want the rust to damage the integrity of the frame.

Ill try and get some pictures up soon

cheers
Kit

Seen Raleigh Corsa's with the golden arrow set on them, this was a lower spec' bike
which came in white or with Panasonic colours, think the frame was the cheaper Reynolds 501 tubing.

You can pick up a Campag' chainset pretty cheaply, either on here in the forsale section or stick a 'want' up.

LFGSS forum is a great place to pick up cheap but good Campag' parts.

With full golden arrow you'd basically have a Raleigh corsa that weighed 300 grams less.

I honestly wouldn't be too fussed on getting the "Correct" bits so long as they look the part and function well. Bikes are for riding, and all that.

Ian Raleigh":2x933nh1 said:
MrW":2x933nh1 said:
Frame number makes it a 1983 frame.
and that it was made in Worksop.

It will have been made at the Lightweight Unit at Nottingham, as Raleigh closed the Worksop factory late in 1980.

The W prefix 'finished' in 1990.

Back